Thursday, September 15, 2011

Ritz Cracker Pie

Growing up my Nana always made this pie that sounds extremely odd.  Those who try it can’t even believe what they are eating and the fact that it tastes good.  Have you ever heard of Ritz Cracker Pie?  It is the weirdest thing but seriously give it a try – your tasters will be baffled. 

Is there a recipe that when you think of it is reminds you of someone special?  Well that is how I feel about Ritz Cracker Pie.  I hear it and I immediately think Nana.  In my mind I can hear her voice, with that southern drawl, asking “anyone want a piece of Ritz Cracker Pie” as she brings it to the table.  The first time Charlie was served a piece of this pie he was skeptical but once he ate it he fell in love.

I could not find my Nana’s copy of the recipe so I followed the back of the box one from this site.  Of course I could not leave the recipe as is, I had to add my own little twist.  Instead of topping the pie with a pie crust I topped it with an oatmeal crumb topping (the type you would use to top am apple cobbler).  Why you might ask?  Well Ritz Cracker Pie tastes like an apple pie.  Yes you read that correctly.  How do crackers end up tasting like apples?  I have no idea, but they do.

Here is the bottom crust filled with the crackers which are just crumbled into chunks.  This is before adding the oatmeal crumb topping.

 

ritzcrackerpie

 

And the finished product straight from the oven.

 

ritzcrackerpie2

 

It was a big hit.  Charlie took it to work and it was well received.  They could not believe this pie does not contain one single bit of apple but yet it tastes like it does.  The combo of salty and sweet really make this pie a delicacy.  If you are looking for a super simple recipe and something a bit unique give this a try.  Let me know if you do and what you think of it.  This is a pie that will always have a special place in my heart.  Love you Nana!!! 

On the Declan front – today is picture day.  He went to school looking so handsome and like such a big guy.  Here he is in his “office attire”.  He was disappointed that I did not get him a tie. 

 

pictureday  

 

Oh how I love that smile!!! 

 

 

pictureday2

 

pictureday3

 

I am off to enjoy the day.  I hope you have a great one as well.  Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thrilled to see you posting..glad you've found a eating plan that work's! Declan is still adorable..looking forward to more post's :) Sandy

Anonymous said...

just wanted to say hi, Sammie!!! D is a little man now, so sweet and adorable! i miss you. hugs from your friend in Indiana,love ya!!
Polly