Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Second Take, Insta-Bake

I usually steer clear from the prepackaged pancake mixes as many of them contain ingredients that I do not want to enter my body.  Plus they tend to have high sodium content as well.  It is pretty simple to whip up batter from scratch but like you saw yesterday, my batter resulted in very flat pancakes.  Now I could use the trusty old recipe that I make for my little one but mommy tends to like her morning meal a bit more on the healthier side (America’s Test Kitchen does not skimp on the butter in their recipes).  I am not saying that the D Man always gets sweet treats in the AM.  But it is nice to let him enjoy a special breakfast on occasion (more like, when mommy has the time to whip up a batch of chocolaty goodies in the morning).  

Well I decided to give Hodgson Mill Insta-Bake a try.  The ingredient list is actually very short and the sodium was pretty reasonable as well.

 

DSC06647

 

For breakfast this morning I mixed 1/3 cup Insta-Bake mix with 1 egg, 1 ounce buttermilk, cinnamon and vanilla.  I cooked the batter in small batches so that I would get mini pancakes instead of just one giant one.

These pancakes were fabulous and fluffy. 

 

 DSC06650

 

I ate my pancakes with a drizzle of Pb2 and banana slices. 

 

DSC06648 

Insta-Bake has found a place in my kitchen.  I will definitely be using it more often to make myself a speedy breakfast. 

D and I are headed to my sis’s house for the day.  The weather really is gorgeous so we would like to boys to get outside and run around.  We better soak up the sun while it lasts – you never know what will happen in New England. 

Have a great day! 

1 comment:

Veggies 'n' Cake said...

I thought I was the only one who put PB and Banana on pancakes! People are constantly making fun of me for that combo. Glad to see I'm not alone:)