Friday, March 26, 2010

Raisin Bran Cereal Muffins

I know that I said the recipe would be up yesterday, oops!!  It was just too nice outside to be in front of the computer and my truck REALLY needed to be cleaned.  My sidekick and I headed out to use one of those mega vacuums.  At first he freaked out about the loud noise – he has always been a little sensitive to things that are ear piercing – except his own wails.  Eventually he did not mind – maybe it was because he found some dirt to play with.  My truck got cleaned but he got dirty – a mommy’s job is never done. 

Then last night I had a Girl Scout meeting.  It went well.  We trucked through the mucky paths of the GS camp so that the girls can draw maps of the grounds.  The maps will then be judged (by them or the leaders – TBD).  The best one wins.  My nephew was there so I asked the C man to bring the D man to the meeting - the boys entertained each other.  I think D really liked that he got to hang out with a group of older women.  He’s already told me – in his exact words “mommy, I like girls”.  Yes he does. 

So here is the recipe that I promised you.  It is so yummy especially if you like molasses – a little of that brown goodness sure does go a long way.

 

 DSC06722 

 

Raisin Bran Cereal Muffins

1 1/4 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour

3 tsp baking powder

1/8 tsp salt

1/4 cup Evaporated Cane Juice (I got mine at Trader Joe’s)

1 tbsp molasses

3 cups Total Raisin Bran Cereal

1 cup nonfat buttermilk

2 egg whites

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray – I made 6 jumbo but you could also make regular sized muffins. 

Stir together the cereal, buttermilk, applesauce, molasses and evaporated cane juice.  Let mixture sit for five minutes or until the cereal is moist. 

In a small bowl whip the egg whites till frothy.  Once the cereal mix is ready gently fold the egg whites into it. 

Sprinkle the flour, baking soda and salt over the wet ingredients and stir to combined – try not to over mix.

Evenly distribute the batter into your muffin pan.  Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for about 2 minutes.  Finally remove the muffins from the pan to a wire rack. 

These muffins are really delicious with a cup of tea or coffee.  I had one for breakfast a couple times this week and was so happy with how they came out.  You will have to take my word – no one else in my house was willing to be a guinea pig. 

Let me know if you try them.  I hope you have a great weekend.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

Does your son like those? I need something healthy to make the kids I babysit (they snack on junk like it'll make Christmas come faster).
Thanks,
Katherine
whataboutsummer.wordpress.com

HeatherBakes said...

"Mommy, I like girls."- That is TOO CUTE. I hope Jack is just like that!