Monday, March 1, 2010

My First Half Marathon

Yesterday was my first time racing a half marathon.  I have to say that it was one tough run but I really did have a blast.  There were so many runners – I had no idea what a popular race this event was.  There was actually 4 races going on – a full marathon, a 1/2 marathon, a 10K and a marathon team relay.  The 1/2 marathon alone consisted of 2706 runners.

We stayed overnight in Hyannis since we live over an hour away.  It was a nice little getaway even though it lasted less than 24 hours – we really know how to live it up!! 

The morning of the race I got ready pretty early and had a bowl of oat bran and almond butter.  It really held me over and I did not have to eat anything else before the start of the race.  I am sure that nerves also played a part in that too. 

I ended up putting on another fleece layer – it was pretty chilly. 

 

hyannis5

 

I wore my new Bondi Band hat that I bought at the race expo on Saturday.  This hat was fabulous.  It really did wick the moisture from my head so I stayed warm.  And I love that it was snug against my ears which helped keep my ear buds in – some times I have a problem with them popping out during my runs.  I used to never run while listening to tunes.  Now that I have, I can’t imagine running without it. 

 

bondiband

 

At 9:45 I made my way through the sea of people and got ready to race.   I tried to get in the 8 minute mile pack but we all kept getting pushed further and further back.  I ended up starting past the 9 minute mile sign – not at all where I wanted to be.   I can usually run under an 8 minute mile but since this was my first time doing a half marathon I was not really sure what pace I would be at.  I should have tried to get into the 7 and a half minute pack. 

The start was really slow.  I tried to weave my way around the slower runners but it was pretty difficult to do.  I saw a women get tripped and I did not want that to happen to me or for me to end up tripping someone else. 

 

 

hyannis4

 

I was able to make up some time by running on the outside of the crowd.  I kept checking my trusty Garmin to see what my speed was.  My goal was to keep it under 8 minutes per mile.  The thrill of the race and the fact that there are other runner ahead of you really does make you run faster.  There were times when I was running just over a 7 minute mile.

Charlie and D were able to spot me at around mile 5.  I was feeling really great and ready to conquer the remaining miles. 

I decided not to chance any tummy issues from eating endurance beans, blocks or GU during the race.  My belly felt 100 percent the entire time and I never felt my energy dip so I really did not need anything.  I did take water from the water stations (4 times I think).  I just grabbed a cup as I ran buy and attempted to get some in my mouth while running.  

 

hyannis3

 

Unfortunately, Charlie was unable to snap a photo of me nearing the final turn.  A women kept stepping in front of him and he missed the opportunity.  He did get a picture of me making my way up the hill to the finish line.  Gotta love ending a race on the uphill.  I dug deep inside and found some more steam and sprinted to the finish. 

 

 

hyannis2

 

My finish time was 1:39:48 – I beat my best time!!  I came in 327th out of the 2706 runners. In my age group, I finished 23rd over 452.  Not too shabby. 

I was so happy to get a big hug from my sweetie pie. 

 

hyannis

 

So will there be another??  I am already thinking about what I would like to do next.  I really do not see myself doing a full marathon.  It seems like a lot of wear and tear on your body and I am content with the half marathon distance. 

I hope you had a great weekend.  Are you ready for another week?  We are off to an icky start here weather wise.  We got a little coating of snow overnight and it has now turned over to rain.  It is quite a raw day out there.  Spring can’t come fast enough. 

Enjoy your day! 

8 comments:

MelissaNibbles said...

Congratulations!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers said...

Congrats!!! Wow what an awesome time, that's fantastic!! :)

ratzxfink said...

congrats on your achievement! way to go!

Anonymous said...

congrats sammy!!!!

Anonymous said...

Competition is a good thing, no? Congratulations to you on a great race.

whatkateate said...

congrats on your 1/2 sammie! your time was amazing, you should be so proud of yourself! have a great tuesday :)

Meghann said...

I can't believe that was your first marathon! I feel like you are such an accomplished runner and just assumed you run half marathons all the time. ;)

Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You're awesome! Keep up the great work! Congratulations!