Monday, March 22, 2010

Fresh Squeezed

Since I started this blog I really have not done a lot of pie baking.  I actually really love to make them especially when someone makes a special request.  Charlie works with a man who absolutely loves lemon desserts so he asked if I would make him a Lemon Meringue Pie.  I’ve never ventured down the road of meringue – as it looks a bit intimidating.  Well, I am here to tell you that it is pretty simple to achieve those white peaks of beauty – just do not over mix (thankfully I did not).

 

DSC06710

 

I found a recipe from Miss Paula Dean.  Her food always seems to be a smash hit so I figured this one would be a winner.  The crust was just a basic sweet pie dough that I found in another cook book I have in my collection – you could use your favorite.  You can also make the pie with a graham cracker crust but the gentleman requested just a regular pastry crust. 

The filling calls for a 1/2 cup of lemon juice.  I highly recommend that you go with fresh squeezed not the bottled stuff.  It is more time consuming but way worth the effort. 

 

DSC06708

 

I would also suggest making this pie the day you plan on serving it.  Meringue oozes as it sits in the fridge overnight and I really could not figure out how to avoid this (Charlie and I even searched the web for tips and came up empty).  Despite a little dampness, the pie was well received.  Charlie came home that evening with an empty pie plate – a good indicator I would say. 

I hope your off to a good start to the week.  I am, I just made some jumbo raisin bran muffins.  The recipe is soon to come  - I need to taste test one first

1 comment:

HeatherBakes said...

That's a gorgeous meringue, Sammie! I really want to try meringue cookies but have always been afraid to- sad, right?