Friday, March 12, 2010

Blueberry Muffins

I have been really craving blueberry muffins so I got to to work in my kitchen the other night.  I always try to make healthy alternatives to traditional recipes – like subbing applesauce for the fat in the recipe and use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose.  Sometimes my baked goods come out good but other times they are a total flop. 

Well this time my recipe was a winner.  Keep in mind that I do not like an overly sweet muffin but I do enjoy one that is moist and not too dense. 

 

DSC06642

 

Here is what went into these beauties:

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

1 1/4 cups nonfat buttermilk

1 tsp baking soda

2 eggs

2 tbsp brown rice syrup

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 cup frozen blueberries

 

DSC06643

 

As you can see they have a nice muffin top which happens to be my favorite part.  I always separate the top from the bottom before consuming.  Are there any are others like me out there???  

These are not a sweet muffin so you could add jam or honey to one before eating if you so please.  Or if you want them to be sweet to begin with add 1/4 – 1/2 cup of honey to the batter instead of the brown rice syrup.  I have been enjoying mine as is and I love them.  I am the only one in my house that will eat these – D does not like BB Muffins and Charlie knows that they are whole wheat so he won’t touch them either.  Oh well, more for mommy.  I have been gobbling them up too – like 2 a day.  They really are that yummy. 

Happy Friday!!!

 

7 comments:

Alee said...

yum! thanks for sharing!

Jessi said...

I just made disastrous blueberry muffins the other night! they tasted amazing but the texture was all wrong. these look great!

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Maria said...

The muffins look wonderful!

pinkcowgirl said...

Mmm, you just can't beat a blueberry muffin!!! Sounds great!

HeatherBakes said...

YUM. It's tricky when substituting healthy ingredients in recipes- so it's really exciting when it actually works!

(I like the muffin tops best, too)

Michelle said...

Ooooh I love me some blueberry muffins!