Friday, February 26, 2010

With My Eyes Shut

I have made truffles so many times now that I am pretty sure that I could make them with my eye shut.  If you are under the impression that they are difficult to make – you are mistaken.  If you know how to melt chocolate (this can be done in the microwave), then you can make truffles.  I follow a very basic recipe – chopped chocolate or chocolate chips, heavy cream, liqueur (this ingredient is optional) and if I am coating the little gems in chocolate then I buy an extra bar (or bag) to do so.  The quality of chocolate you buy really does make the difference.  Go for a good brand, it is worth it. 

This is just how simple it is. 

I start with the heavy cream.

 

DSC06469

Put the entire 8 oz into a small saucepan.  Heat until it boils (tiny bubbles form around the edge of the pan).

 

DSC06471

 

While waiting for the cream to heat up, place your bag of chocolate chips into a glass bowl. 

 

DSC06462

 

Once the cream is boiling, immediately pour it over the chocolate chips.  Let stand for 5 minutes – this allows the chocolate  to melt.  After 5 minutes, stir till smooth.  If you have any lumps after stirring, then you can warm it in the microwave or place the bowl over a double boiler to get the mixture completely smooth.  If the cream is hot enough you should not have any lumps.  One time I was worried about curdling the cream so mine was not warm enough.  All was good in the end with a quick zap in the nuke. 

 

DSC06472

 

Then I add 2 tablespoons of liqueur to the smooth chocolate & cream mix.  The new favorite of my husbands is Godiva but I’ve used Whiskey and Grand Marnier before too. 

 

 

DSC06473

 

Now I spread the ganache into a 8 inch glass baking dish.  Some recipes say to just leave the ganache in the bowl but I find the shallow dish allows even cooling and makes scooping so much easier.  Into the fridge it goes to chill for a few hours.  You can actually make this a day ahead of time.  On the day you are going to form the truffles, remember to take it out 20 minutes before scooping. 

 

 

DSC06474

 

When I scoop the ganache, I use the 2 spoon method.  I try to not handle the ganache with my hands as it melts very easily and makes a huge mess. 

 

 

DSC06489

 

I put the formed truffle balls back into the fridge to firm up a bit before dipping into chocolate.  If you just wanted to cover your truffles with cocoa powder, nuts or shredded coconut, you would do it right after rolling into balls.  Since they are warm your coatings will stick.  If you tried to do it after chilling in the fridge the toppings would just fall off. 

For the chocolate coating, I melt a bag of chips over a double boiler.

 

DSC06467

DSC06466

 

Once the chocolate is melted I start dipping the balls into it.  It is not a clean process but the end result is so pretty.  Sometimes I even melt a little white chocolate (in the microwave), place it in a plastic bag, snip off the tip and drizzle over the truffles. 

 

 

DSC06372

 

So there you have it.  It really is that easy.  And everyone will adore them.  I have yet to meet someone who does not like the truffles that I make. 

In other news, my race is on Sunday.  I am really looking forward to it, just not the fact that it is supposed to snow.  Lets hope that there are minimal flakes falling when it is race time. 

Time to get my butt in gear, I am working at the book fair at D’s school toady.  Happy Friday!!! 

8 comments:

HeatherBakes said...

Pretty!!! They look so professional. When we made truffles in culinary school, they looked horrible. We couldn't figure out how to get them rolled into balls without making a giant mess.

Hope you guys have a great weekend :)

Carly said...

ooo goodness those look absolutely divine. Those are all I'll be thinking about today! Thanks for sharing the idea!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie said...

Why did you just tell me this!?!? Now that I know how easy they are I really have no excuse not to overdose on them all the time.

RhodeyGirl said...

I love making truffles too!!!! They taste even better when homemade!

Becca said...

Do you ever sample the truffles? You know, for quality control ;) I see you make Charlie and others decadent treats, but I can't imagine that you would ever eat even a one yourself.

Sammie said...

Becca,
I do not sample the truffles because the chocolate that I use contains soy which I can not consume. I could use a soy free brand but Charlie always loves the truffles made with that particular brand of chocolate.
I am not a huge truffle fan anyway so I am not too upset by not being able to eat them. I'll take a bowl of frozen yogurt :)

carolinebee said...

YUM!!! Those look amazing! My grandmother used to make awesome truffles, and instead of the chocolate dip, she would roll them in cocoa powder, which made a nice, more bitter contrast to the sweet inside :D

Olivia said...

Yum!! Now I am seriously craving chocolate.