Monday, February 15, 2010

Banana Oatmeal Bars

Today was the first day of D’s vacation – he has the entire week off.  The poor little doobie woke up with a bit of a cough.  Any time he gets stuffy he gets that croupy sounding cough.  Thankfully as the day went he started to sound better.  We have lots of fun times planned for this week so he needs to get better ASAP.  

I ventured away from my typical salad for dinner and actually ate a hot meal.  I did end up having to throw the bowl into the micro as I was interrupted one too many times.  Mommy never gets to sit down and eat her dinner without distractions. 

I roasted zucchini, turnip and snap peas in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.  I then added a Quorn Chik’n Cutlet and marinara sauce. 

 

DSC06543

 

I also had a Rudy’s Organic Spelt English muffin with peanut butter. 

 

 

DSC06546

 

I was itching to do a little baking since I have a couple very ripe bananas.  I finally settled on making a batch of Kath’s Baked Oatmeal Snack Bars only I made some changes. 

 

 

DSC06547

 

My tummy does not do too well with too much dried fruit and whole nuts so I left them out.  I used almond milk in place of the skim milk, I added 2 tbsp NuNaturals NuStevia Sweetener Baking Blend and 1 mashed banana.  I also left out the vanilla.

 

 

DSC06551

When they were baking my kitchen smelled amazing.  Even Charlie commented on how yummy they smelled.  I cut my bars into 6 and had to try one while they were still warm.  Definitely moist, not your typical granola bar but I actually like that about them.  They are more of a cakey texture which for dessert was perfect.  The banana flavor is mild and not overpowering.  These are a keeper in my collection of recipes. 

Time to go put on my pj’s and maybe whip up a cup of my favorite nightcap.  I hope you have a great night. 

2 comments:

Leena said...

mmm... Rudi's english muffins are my favorite! and those bars look really yummy too!

Kath said...

I haven't made those bars in ages!!