Monday, January 18, 2010

Numbers to Work With

Lately my typical run is either 8 or 9 miles.  I very rarely do more than 10.  On Sunday I decided to up the mileage so that I can see where I stand running 13.1 miles.  My half marathon is a little over a month away so I doing a long distance is not going to hurt me training wise. 

About an hour before I set out on my run I had a typical breakfast – oatmeal, egg whites, a banana, cinnamon, stevia, PB2 and Chocolate PB2.

 

DSC06312 

I usually do not eat anything during a run but I bought a package of Shot Blocks to try out and see if eating 2 would actually make a difference.  When I was at 10.1 miles I ate the two blocks and I did feel a bit more peppy.  I looked at my Garmin and it said I was running a 7:58 minute mile.  I was able to maintain a good speed for the rest of my run and I finished in 1 hour and 51 minutes.  I would really like to shave a few minutes off for race day but I guess I will just have to wait and see.  At least I have some numbers to play with.  On race day I think that I will eat 3 blocks instead of 2 – I probably could have used the extra one.  I wanted to start off with 2 seeing as I had never tried them before and I had no idea if they would upset my stomach.

I felt really good after my run.  Honestly, I probably could have lasted for a few more miles. 

I did end up having to close my eyes for a few minutes in the afternoon.  It is funny how much more tired I get with the mileage increase. 

I’ve been eating the typical “Sammie” foods:

plain yogurt, Weetabix, apple and sunflower seed butter

 

DSC06317

 

Salad:

lettuce, apple, red pepper, tuna and cashews

 

 

DSC06318

 

And more salad:

lettuce, apple, chicken, swiss cheese and cashews

 

DSC06255 

I’m really glad that I did a test run because I feel a lot more confident for the up coming race. 

6 comments:

LindsayRuns said...

congrats on your test run, 8 min mile is awesome...hope you exceed your personal goal when you race next month!

HeatherBakes said...

Great job on the run! I find that my pace is naturally faster during races- just from adrenaline, I guess- so I wouldn't worry too much about it. 1:51 is AMAZING for a half!

LOVE Shot Bloks. If you like gels, Gu brand is great, too- but only certain flavors (berry and orange).

Diana @ frontyardfoodie said...

whoa that's awesome! Great time and great length!

I would like to do a half marathon. I was going to do one this fall but something else came up and now I'm out:( Maybe next year!

lizzy said...

Hi! I'm new to your blog...it's adorable and very informative I can't wait to read more! I've be playing around with the idea of running a "test 13.1"...my half is two months away, but like you I also wanna see where I'm at! I never eat anything while running, but swam collegiately and would often pop a few shot blocks, they are easy on the tummy! thanks for the advice on eating them around mile 10!! You will definitely run faster in your race because you will be pumped up! I'm excited for you!! Keep up the great runs chica!!

Melissa said...

You are going to do fabulously on your half! The excitement of the race will carry you through, no problem.
I've tried the shot blocs once and had a good result so I'm going to try and incorporate them into my long runs. I'm currently injured but will find out tomorrow my fate with the sports doc. So, I like to hear about your running!

kate said...

Wow! You are going to kick that 1/2s booty!
Random question: when you add egg whites into oats do you just put them in with the oats, milk, and water and have them cook up? Ive been wanting to try that for a while..but I guess Im a little scared!
Thanks!