Friday, January 29, 2010

Mom Passed it On

Some people may look at the things that I eat and think that they are a bit on the bland side – no sauce, no butter, no salt – just au natural is how I roll.  I do (more often than not) spice up my meals with cinnamon – a bowl of oatmeal is not the same without it.  Have I always been this way?  Well, yes.  My mom raised me to actually learn what food is supposed to taste like rather than masking it’s scrumptious flavor.

That’s why I eat so many salads – I LOVE the flavor of vegetables and fruit.  Eat them together and that is double delight. 

 

DSC06397

 

When I was growing up we did not even have a salt shaker and she would never put butter on anything (well, that’s not entirely true, we did have  buttered toast on occasion).  She never stocked our kitchen with soda or sweets – they were reserved for special occasions.  Honestly, me and my sis were not ones for soda when that special occasion came up.  We did enjoy pizza nights or dinner at our favorite restaurant.  Oh The Homestead Restaurant held so many memories – too bad it went out of business.  It was one of those pay what you weigh places (for the kiddies, not grow-ups). 

My mom even taught me the importance of being active and having a healthy body.  When I was around 11 years old she would take aerobics classes at a gym and we would tag along with her.  My mom would even let us participate – I hung out in the back row and looked ridiculous trying to keep up.  It was fun even thought I had no clue what I was doing.  To this day my mom goes out for an hour long walk around her neighborhood.  She has always maintained a healthy body image for her daughters – something that I am very thankful for.  My mom just turned 49 and looks FABULOUS!!!  I hope that I look as gorgeous as she does when I am 49. 

 

DSC04113 

There were times when we thought that she was being unfair – no sugary sweets when we really had a jonesing for them.  But now I am able to see that what she was doing was trying to teach us that there are more nutritious options for us – like a nice piece of fruit as a snack instead of those cookies.  These are things that I hope to pass on to my little one too.  I am less strict than my mom but I still do my best to teach D a rather healthy approach to eating (like he gets donuts way more than I did as I kid, I probably had a dozen donuts over the course of my childhood). 

With all that being said, yesterday I decided to purchase a box of cereal that I was not fond of seeing for breakfast as a kid – Post Original Shredded Wheat.  I remember thinking that it was like eating hay and my mom would NEVER let us add sugar (this is where I am a lot more lenient – I will add honey to D’s cereal).  I made my usual yogurt and pumpkin concoction but instead of Weetabix, I used 2 Shredded Wheat biscuits.

 

DSC06396

 

Guess what?  It did not taste like hay at all.  I now have another biscuit to work with. 

 

DSC06395

 

That strange colored blob in the middle is Hemp Seed Butter.  Not something that I would have eaten as a kid but as an adult I adore it.  My mom was nice enough to feed us peanut butter and jelly – heck she even spoiled us a few times with a Fluffernutter

I am very thankful to have learned at a young age such healthy habits.  Eating clean just comes naturally to me since it is the way I have eaten throughout my entire life.

Thanks Mom – I’ll pass it on. 

6 comments:

Angie said...

I LOVE THIS. My husband and I had a conversation just this morning about this. We were talking oatmeal, and he said "our kids are never going to eat real food, are they?". I laughed, because I DO eat real food! Fruits, vegetables, grains, lean protein. You know, FOOD! He meant cookies, cakes, sugary cereals. In that case, no, our kids probably won't ever eat "real" food :) Luckily he was just teasing, and I know he'll appreciate our kids eating good, real food (when they actually come to be!).

But I often worry that my kids will resent having to eat so healthily when they're younger, and almost go crazy the opposite way and gorge on McDonalds and candy. I hate that I'm already concerned with that, but I'm a worrier :) It's good to know you were raised that way and not only appreciate it, but are trying to pass the same ideas on to your own son.

Love it! Thanks so much for sharing. And make sure to let your mom know :)

Angie said...

I LOVE THIS. My husband and I had a conversation just this morning about this. We were talking oatmeal, and he said "our kids are never going to eat real food, are they?". I laughed, because I DO eat real food! Fruits, vegetables, grains, lean protein. You know, FOOD! He meant cookies, cakes, sugary cereals. In that case, no, our kids probably won't ever eat "real" food :) Luckily he was just teasing, and I know he'll appreciate our kids eating good, real food (when they actually come to be!).

But I often worry that my kids will resent having to eat so healthily when they're younger, and almost go crazy the opposite way and gorge on McDonalds and candy. I hate that I'm already concerned with that, but I'm a worrier :) It's good to know you were raised that way and not only appreciate it, but are trying to pass the same ideas on to your own son.

Love it! Thanks so much for sharing. And make sure to let your mom know :)

Sammie said...

Angie,
D has never had McDonalds and I pretty happy keeping it that way - I am hoping that Charlie is too. I do let him have some sort of treat daily but that is only if he eats some sort of fruit AND veggie that day. The cookies that I do buy are the Annie's Bunny shaped ones so even thought they are processed they are not all that bad.

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

pinkcowgirl said...

It scares me to think about all the "junk" that's in most processed foods. Most of the really healthy organic stuff is so expensive where I live though. I try my best to stick to a natural diet!!!

All my friends look at me weird when I say I can't remember the last time I ate pizza *Except my home made awesome kind* or french fries.

Hey, I'd rather feel good, than taste fat!!!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie said...

I totally love this post. My mom was the same way. I'm the third of seven kids and she did such a wonderful job of teaching us healthy eating. Now I'm so grateful for that and even then I enjoyed it!

Thanks for reminding me what a huge part of a child's life this is so I can remember when I have children of my own.