Saturday, January 9, 2010

It is OK to be Alone

During the week I get a few hours Monday, Wednesday & Friday were I am all by myself.  I do enjoy my time alone but I also look forward to having my little sidekick back with me.  When he is not being a little stinker he is a great companion and rather amusing.  I have always been the type of person who was afraid of being alone.  I am almost positive that it all stems from my childhood.  I am slowly learning that it is a good thing to be alone and to actually enjoy my own company. 

Today we took D to karate and while we were there my brother-in-law asked if we all wanted to join him and my nephew at Chuck E. Cheese’s.  My sister is at some sort of training today and the 2 guys are spending the day together.  I was really not in the mood to go.  We took the boys there one time and the place is utter chaos.  I have a ton of things that I want to do around my house and that is really where I wanted to be.  Usually I would just suck it up and go so that I would not have to be home alone.  Well today I just let my guys go along without me.  I am now at my house all by myself and honestly I am ok with it.  I have gotten a bunch of things done without worrying what the D Man is doing.  I still have a ton of laundry to do but I can only do one load at a time so that will be an entire afternoon ordeal. 

Now onto some new eats.

This morning I cheated on my oatmeal and tried a different grain for breakfast – Kamut Flakes.  I was sold on the 8 grams of protein in a 1/2 cup serving.  I really like to get a good dose of it without having to add anything to the mix (for example – protein powder or egg whites, which I do from time to time). 

 

DSC06187 DSC06189

 

I cooked 1/2 a cup kamut flakes with water, cinnamon and stevia.  I then added a banana and a drizzle of Chocolate PB2.  It was quite good and the texture of the flakes is just like oatmeal.  I am not giving up on my beloved oats but it is nice to add another option to the menu.

 

 

DSC06184

 

Today I also tried another NuGo FREE bar – Carrot Cake. 

 

DSC06185

 

The icing was stuck to the package so most of it came off when I was unwrapping it.  At first the taste was a little artificial but I kind of got used to it within a few bites.  There are a few flecks of carrots and raisins found within the bar which added a nice texture and natural sweetness.  I did not like this one as much as the one I had yesterday and would probably pass on buying it again.  I am glad I tried it but did not fall in love with this guy like I did with the Dark Chocolate Crunch. 

 

DSC06186

 

I am off to tackle more housework while my guys are out.  I am not sure when to expect them home so I must make good use of the time I have before they return.  I hope you are having a great weekend.

4 comments:

Diana @ frontyardfoodief said...

I'm not one who loves being alone either but I think it's because I need energy from other people around me even if I'm not interacting with them. The older I get though I start seeing that if I have a couple or a few hours alone I can plan some things I need to get done and I really really enjoy being able to focus on them! Have a great day getting stuff done!

tam said...

Kamut flakes sound interesting are they gluten free x

LindsayRuns said...

I can understand not being in the mood for CEC's. That place gives me a headache sometimes!

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

Oh my gosh, I love my alone time. I'm often at home during the day by myself, and it's so quiet. I get so much done!

8 grams of protein per serving? Not bad. I've seen kamut flakes at Whole Foods, and I think I need to try them.

Have a good week Sammie!