Monday, January 11, 2010

Do You Know Sauce?

Good evening friends!  I’m gonna make this a quickie so that I can go kick some booty in Wii Mario Cart – our nightly family time. 

We did not end up going to my sis’s house today because they had other plans. No worries, turns out I had the date of the meeting that I am supposed to talk to the girls about healthy eating.  I need my material for the next meeting in two weeks.  I have such a hard time keeping my schedule straight even though I own a monthly planner.  Oh the life of a mommy. 

Lunch was a salad – lettuce, red pepper, zucchini and a piece of swiss cheese.

 

DSC06200

 

I also had Barilla Whole Grain Penne.  Shocking!!! I know, I actually ate pasta.  Usually I am not a fan of pasta but I am trying to mix up the grains that I eat and by that I mean not eat so much processed bread products (english muffins, pita, wraps – you get the idea).  I actually enjoyed this brand, it is a bit nutty and has a little chew (as long as you don’t over cook it I presume).

 

 

DSC06202

 

I topped my pasta with a bit of Palmieri sauce.  The slogan was what really drew me to look at it – “For people who know sauce”.  This was the first time I’ve had this stuff and it was TASTY!!! I tend to not be too keen on jarred sauces since they usually contain tons of sodium.  This sauce only has 170 mg in 2/3 cup and I did not even need that much to coat my pasta.  I bought it at Stop & Shop in case you feel the desire to try it. 

 

 

DSC06203

 

I really like the short list of ingredients and NO SOY – yahoo!!!  Charlie really likes one of Trader Joe’s sauces but it contains soy so I can’t partake in that one.  This one seriously tastes like it was homemade.  It does not have all kinds of chunks in it either – I am a not of fan of huge pieces of tomato ends in my sauce. 

 

 

DSC06205

 

I ended the meal with an apple and a tbsp of sunflower seed butter. 

 

 

DSC06206

 

For a little excursion this afternoon I took D to Borders so that he could buy something with the gift cards he got for Christmas and his birthday.  Of course he chose Legos.  Looks like I know what I will be doing tomorrow.

Dinner was chicken – yes, I’m giving it another chance.  I bought some at Whole Foods the other day – the kind that requires very little trimming.  That is one task that turns my stomach and then I can’t even think about putting the chicken on my plate. 

 

 

DSC06211

 

I also had some pumpkin oats.  I cooked up 1/2 a cup of oatmeal with water, cinnamon and stevia.  There was a full cup of pumpkin stirred in at the end.  My toppers were PB2 and sunflower seed butter.  Nothing like a warm filling bowl of oatmeal to satisfy this girl. 

 

 

DSC06214

 

Ok bloggies, I am off to spend some quality time with the gents.  I hope you have a great night.  See you tomorrow. 

No comments: