Friday, December 18, 2009

Glazed Irish Tea Cake

The girls seemed to really enjoy themselves at the Girl Scout Christmas party last night.  My sister brought streamers for them to decorate the lodge with which ended up being a HUGE hit.  Picture 17 ten year olds running around with rolls of colored paper.  Streamers were hanging from the rafters like a giant spider web waiting to trap someone.  There were streamers everywhere by the end of the meeting.  There is just something heart warming watching them have so much fun.  We really have a great group – such little sweeties!!! 

They were supposed to bring a food that they made to share with everyone.  This would get them one step closer to earning a cooking patch.  Well most of them brought store bought goodies – oh well.  There was a TON of sweets which as you might guess added to the craziness of the festivities after they had consumed copious amounts.

My contribution was a Glazed Irish Tea Cake.   I know it looks like a quick bread but it really is a cake. 

 

DSC06090

 

I made a little change to the glaze that drizzles over the top.  The recipe says to use 2 tsp fresh lemon juice which I thought might be a little too tart for the girl’s palates.

Here is the glaze that I made:

1/2 cup powdered sugar

1 tsp fresh lemon juice

1 tsp heavy cream to start, add more as needed

I mixed everything together to make the glaze but I ended up needing to add more heavy cream. I probably used closer to 2-3 tsp.  I was trying to get the glaze thin enough to pipe on using a small baggie with the end snipped off. 

I think the end result is pretty gorgeous. 

 

DSC06092

The girls mostly went for the cookies and brownies.  I did see one girl with my cake and she kept eating it so I guess she liked it.  The older crowd went for my cake and they raved about how good it is.  I was even asked to e-mail one of them the recipe.  My sis ate a piece even though she stopped eating cow’s dairy (she is a fan of goat milk) and she complimented my handy work a couple times.  She said that the texture was super soft and light.  I brought what was left home so that Charlie could sample it.  He was kind of bummed when I was leaving the house with it last night since the aroma from baking it was pretty darn amazing.  He said that it is kind of like a less dense pound cake. It is now on route to work with him so he can share it with his co-workers.  He said that it is too delicious not to share. 

If you need a holiday treat to bring along with you this season, give this cake a try.  I bet that it will be a hit.

 

Onto the happenings of my morning.  I was up and out the door at the usual hour of 5 AM.  It was so stinking cold out this morning (and it still is).  I really was not made for this weather. I need to be someplace where it is sunny and warm.  At the gym I did 30 minutes on the Elliptical, a 30 minute run, weights and ended with lots of foam rolling. 

Breakfast was a very blue bowl of oatmeal with a big dollop of pumpkin & PB2 in the center.  Instead of stirring the pumpkin into the mix during the cooking process, I placed it in the center of the bowl and scooped it as I ate.  It was fabulous and filling.

 

DSC06095

 

I am not sure what is on my agenda for the day.  I foresee some laundry and maybe a quick run to the grocery store.  We are supposed to get snow on Saturday night heading into Sunday morning so I should pick up a few necessities.  Actually, I have no idea if it is going to be a whopper or not. I should probably go check on the forecast. 

I hope you have a great day. 

2 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Gorgeous drizzle on the cake!

Enjoy your day, whatever you choose to do! :)

tam said...

What a delicious looking cake x