Friday, December 11, 2009

Alton’s Mac & Cheese

The other day Charlie expressed his desire for macaroni & cheese – NOT the boxed kind.  He really adores the crunchy topping that usually comes with baked mac & cheese so I hunted down a recipe that would tantalize his taste buds. 

As soon as I spotted Alton Brown’s recipe, I knew that was the one. I have made some of his stuff in the past which have been well received by the consumer (that being Charlie). Thankfully I had all the ingredients but the onion on hand so I just left it out.  Also, instead of macaroni, Charlie requested shell shaped pasta. 

 

DSC05931

 

This recipe really is pretty simple. I highly recommend having all the ingredients laid out and ready to go.  The end result looked exactly what my main squeeze was craving.  Judging by his reaction while eating it (and a second helping), I would say that it was a winner.

 

DSC05933

 

My dinner was a salad which was mostly fruit (a pear & an orange) over Boston lettuce.  D said gross, oranges on a salad when he saw what I was eating.  It was rather yummy. 

 

DSC05924

 

I also had a Turk’y Burger inside a mini whole wheat pita. 

 

DSC05923

 

Dessert was rice cakes topped with sunflower seed butter and jelly.

 

DSC05929

 

After dinner it was bowling time – we are kind of Wii Bowling junkies at the moment.  D really gets a kick out of it and mommy & daddy have lots of laughs as well.  Once D was off to lala land I finally sat down and watched TV.  I watched Survivor which really has me on the edge of my seat.  That crazy Russell sure knows how to play the other contestants. 

This morning I was up and out the door at the usual hour. At the gym I did 15 minutes on the Step Mill, 15 minutes on the Elliptical, a 15 minute run on the treadmill and then a 15 minute hill climb on the treadmill.  I ventured into the weight room for a decent lifting session before heading home. 

Breakfast was a rather filling bowl of Pumpkin Oat Bran.  I was heading out the door to clean so I needed some serious fuel.  This was 3/4 cup oat bran cooked with water, 1 cup pumpkin, cinnamon, NuNaturals NuStevia Pure White Stevia Extract, PB2 and a tbsp almond butter.  I ate every bite and my tummy was super warm afterward. 

 

 

DSC05934

 

So this is what I used in my oat bran and I also added some to my coffee.  By some I mean maybe 1/4 tsp – well that was WAAAAAAAYYY too much.  It was undrinkable and I had to dump it down the drain – no coffee for Sammie this morning – BOO!  Thankfully I did not add as much to my oat bran and I was able to enjoy touch of sweetness in that bowl of warm goodness. 

After using the different products that I was sent, I have to say that the powder seems to be way more potent than the liquid.  I really like both products and I will continue to use them.  I will just have to go light when using the powder. 

 

DSC05935

 

Wow, where has the day gone.  I can’t believe it is after 2 o’clock already.  This afternoon I am making a big batch of vanilla butter cream frosting and icing 36 cupcakes for D’s party tomorrow.  I think he wants the frosting to be green – like and Army Guy he told me.  I’m waiting to make it until he is here to tell me exactly what shade of green he has in mind. 

I hope you are having a great Friday.

5 comments:

HeatherBakes said...

Yeah, you can't go wrong with Alton- he's so corny but we're addicted to Good Eats.

Good luck with the cupcakes! Army man green, eh?

Diana @ frontyardfoodie said...

I can't do sweet in my coffee anymore. For some reason it makes it taste bitter or something. It's weird because I used to not be able to drink coffee without tons of creamer, sugar and flavoring!

Helena said...

I read your blog all the time and think it's great! Thank you for writing, and good luck with the party tomorrow.

Cheers!

Olivia said...

That's kind of funny - I made baked Mac & Cheese tonight, and Jack ate a couple of helpings without slowing down. Must have been something in the air. :)

See you tomorrow at the party!

katie said...

I am officially drooling....

New post, new music, new giveaway - http://katiechangesforkatie.blogspot.com/

Happy Weekend WOOP WOOP!

Katie