Sunday, November 1, 2009

Starting the Month off with Eleven

Last night D and his friend Ethan dressed in the same costume.  D felt grown-up sporting a beard even if it was just makeup.

Star Wars costumes were very popular this year. 

 

halloween

 

Let the trick or treating begin.

 

halloween2

halloween3

D proudly showed off his fancy lightsaber. As you can see this guy was impressed. 

Thanks Uncle Steve for letting him borrow it. It made it back to our house in one piece.

 

halloween4

The boys really enjoyed themselves and ended up with a hefty load of candy. Halloween this year was a blast. 

I was quite the old lady last night and was in bed before 9 (that was after I set my clock back and hour).  I was up early and happy to see the sun.  I set out for a run with no particular plan in mind.  It was one of those mornings that I just wanted to be outside enjoying the fresh air.  My first run of the month ended up being 11 miles – woo hoo!!!  I ended up finishing in 1 hour 37 minutes. 

When I got home it was shower time and then time for oats.

This morning I made a batch of Pumpkin Protein Oatmeal that was the perfect post run meal.

1/2 cup oatmeal, water, about 3/4 cup pumpkin, a little less than a full scoop of Life Time Protein powder (that was all that was left), a few frozen strawberries, cinnamon, PB2 and a tablespoon almond butter

 

DSC05060

So I read a bunch of other runners blogs and see how they fuel before and during their runs.  I must be an oddball – I can not eat while I am running. I know that some runners pop a quickie snack, whether it be sports beans/blocks or even a simple handful of jelly beans.  For some reason I have never done that and I can’t even see myself doing that.  I guess if I was going to do a run that was say, 15 miles or more (or over 2 hours of running), then I would probably consider some sort of replacement gel or bean.  This is going to sound bad – I don’t even carry water with me.  It is just not that hot here in MA and I do not really get thirsty while I am out there.  I do have water with me when I exercise at the gym where it tends to be much warmer.  Also, I can not exercise on a full stomach.  I usually have a rice cake or 2 corn thins with a tablespoon of jelly on them.  Obviously this works for me or I would not be able to go out there and do what I just did this morning.  It just goes to show you that everybody is different and what works for someone else might not work for you.  If you have a routine that works then stick to it – no need to fix something that isn’t broken. 

On that note, how do you fuel before you exercise?  Or are you someone that can not exercise after eating? Do you carry a snack with you?  Just curious, I hope that I am not the only one that can’t eat and run. 

I am off to see what kind of trouble my guys are up to. I hope you have a great Sunday.

4 comments:

Molly said...

I never eat or drink during runs for fear of being sick, and I do have to be careful of what I eat during runs. I can run on a relatively full stomach thankfully.

Molly said...

*careful of what I eat BEFORE runs

MelissaNibbles said...

So glad I'm not the only one! I drink a morning cup of coffee and a glass of water before I set out on my runs. I can't run with food in my stomach because it gives me awful acid reflux for some reason. Like you, I don't even carry water! I live in MA as well and agree that it just isn't warm enough to bring water. I'm sure to chug a bunch when I get home though.

Good job on your run! I ran outside this morning too and the weather was perfect!

Meghann said...

Too cute!

I wish we had trick or treaters at the apartment last night. I feel like I miss have the halloween fun not seeing any little kids dressed up as their favorite characters. :)