Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Raisin Bran

I’ve tried to do the whole cereal for breakfast thing in the past but unfortunately I have a hollow leg when it comes to cold cereal.  Even a rather large bowl does not stay with me as long as a hearty bowl of hot cereal.  One of my favorite types of cereal is Raisin Bran. I adore the crispy flakes and the occasional sweet surprise you get when you find a little raisin. 

That being said, this morning I created my own type of raisin bran that I have no doubt will keep my hunger at bay. 

Here is what I whipped together:

1/2 cup Oat bran

1 1/4 cup water

3/4 cup (give or take) canned pumpkin

cinnamon to taste

 

DSC05478

 

I cooked it on the stove until it was to the consistency that I like – not too thick but not too soupy either.  Then came the toppings.

PB2

1 tablespoon Almond butter

2 tablespoons Organic Raisins

 

 

DSC05474

 

I loved every bite!!!  It was warm, filling and a great post workout refuel. 

The sun is shining today – looks like we are going to have a fairly decent day.  I’m not sure what is on our agenda but I must go get my side kick dressed seeing as it is almost 10 o’clock.

Does cold cereal satisfy you or are you in need of something a bit more filling?What is your favorite cereal?  I love anything with flakes and clusters like Honey Bunches of Oats. Too bad they are not filling in the slightest – kind of like eating air. I am pretty sure that would be because it is pretty skimpy in the fiber department. 

Have a great day.

5 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

I eat these two cereals:


http://www.oneluckyduck.com/store/product-details.php?id=139&cat=27


http://www.oneluckyduck.com/store/product-details.php?id=140&cat=27

StartingHealthy said...

Cold cereal does nothing for me either. If I do happen to have a box it's used mainly as a snack or to put in yogurt for some texture. Instead, I eat a bowl of (quick cooking) oatmeal every morning. I've looked at oat bran and steel cut oats, but even in the bulk bin section the prices are a little too high for me to buy on a regular basis. When I do buy cereal though, I usually get Kashi Heart to Heart, which tastes incredible.

Molly said...

I never have that problem with cereal, but I know it's pretty common.
I love Kashi cereals (GoLean, H2H, Honey Sunshine), Puffins, and Cheerios.

Molly said...

@Starting Healthy - the reason Steelcut oats appear to be more expensive is that a portion is 1/4 c, as opposed to 1/2 c of normal oats. It yields the same amount of fuel when it's cooked. It's actually less expensive!

coconutbutter said...

Hey there!
Love love your blog. Hope you have time to check out mine sometime! I have added you to my blogroll.
Way to roll with the raisin bran (2 days ago was National Raisin Bran Day). Hot cereal def' more filling, but your mention of HBO sounds yum.