Friday, November 20, 2009

NuNaturals

There once was a time when I consumed WAY TOO MUCH artificial sweetener.  I used to drink diet soda daily, eat the “light” yogurts and I would sometimes add a little packet of Splenda to my warm beverages.  I finally realized that it was one of the causes of my puffy bloated belly and gas – yes I did just say gas & don’t say you have never passed wind.  I was able to eliminate all the fake sweeteners pretty easily.  The lack of tummy trouble was a huge driving force. 

I am sure you have all seen and read about stevia whether it be on a food blog, magazine or on-line.  I did some reading up on it myself and I am very curious to see how my body reacts to it. 

I purchased a box of NuNaturals NuStevia White Stevia Powder packets to test.  I want to try the liquid form too but I thought that I would give the powder a go before buying the more expensive product.  This box was only $5.99 where the bottle of liquid stevia with the dropper was $14.99. 

 

DSC05567

 

This morning I added a packet to my Pumpkin Blueberry Oats. 

1/2 cup oatmeal, water, 3/4 cup pumpkin, 1 cup frozen blueberries, cinnamon, PB2 and sunflower seed butter.

It may be due to the fact that there was just so much going on in my bowl – I really did not taste that much of a difference.  I will have to try it again with a much simpler concoction – if that ever happens :) You know how I like to make my oats a little on the busy side.

 

DSC05560

 

I also had a packet in my coffee.  I could, in fact, taste the difference there.  It was really good.  Not overly sweet and there was not that weird aftertaste present that you get with Splenda or Equal. 

 

 

DSC05565

 

So I consumed the stevia over an hour ago and my belly still feels good – no bloat what so ever.  When I used to have the other products, I would feel the effects pretty quickly. 

What is your feeling on Stevia?  Do you use it? Have you tried the liquid version? If you have, do you like it? How about the flavored liquid – like vanilla? I really was leaning towards getting that one.  I would love some feedback on the product before I run out and get it. 

I think that I will use these packets now and then.  I really like my tea black so I can’t see myself using it there.  As far as the coffee, I really did enjoy this mornings cup with a little sweetness. 

Anyone going to see the New Moon movie?  I still need to see the first one. I hope you have a fabulous Friday, whatever you have planned. 

5 comments:

Rose said...

I used to eat a lot of artificial sweetener as well, and I had the same result that you discussed in the beginning of this post. Now I only use sugar if I want to sweeten something but most of the time - I don't. I eat many bland foods, and that's how I like it.

I have tried this Stevia in coffee a few months ago, and I didn't like the taste :(

cocoNUTbutter said...

Hi,
I use stevia everyday in my tea or cereal. I like the taste and assume its better than other kinds of sweetners. I am going to start buying real sugar though I think. I think the real stuff is likely best long-term. THere are also brown rice syrup and agave nectar on the market which are good choices.

tam said...

I wish I could get my hands on some stevia its still not available this side of the pond :( your breakfast looks soooooo good! x x x

lisampls said...

hi sammie, i in fact have the NuNaturals vanilla stevia liquid and i really like it. it sweetens my coffee (3 drops in an average size coffee mug is perfect for my taste) without that strange aftertaste. i have to admit, i can not detect vanilla, though i've never tried the plain variety, so maybe i just don't know the difference. i'd definitely say it's worth a shot. i too was having reactions to other chemical sweeteners and this has been a very satisfactory replacement! Caitlin over at Healthy Tipping Point has a link to her family's online supplement store, you can buy the vanilla variety there if you want to support a fellow blogger lady. good luck with it!

yodasmith said...

Hi!! I've never used NuNaturals, but there seemes to be many who do like it. I use SweetLeaf stevia and I love it! I use their powder and their flavored liquid, including their vanilla flavor, which I have used in place of regular vanilla in chocolate chip cookies! They were good! (I used the powder in them as well!) Yesterday I used the powder in penut butter cookies and they turnes out well! It's great in soothies, too! i love experimenting with not only vanilla creme, but chocolate (love that in skim milk) valencia orange, lemon drop, English toffee ( great on usnsweetened applesause or cooking apple chunks with cinnamon, root beer(try it in sparkling water). I think they have as much as 14 different flavors of liquid stevia. Ok, I'm totally rambling now! I love that stevia! You get the point!