Sunday, November 15, 2009

Karate Tournament

Hello friends.  How has was your weekend?  We had a pretty exciting day today.  D & my nephew Rocco participated in their first Karate Tournament.  I have TONS of pictures of the event to share with you.

First let me tell you that my day starting out with a glorious 11 mile run despite the fact that it was very soggy outside.  It felt great to get in a long run. 

Breakfast was a super yummy bowl of Pumpkin Strawberry Oats.

1/2 cup oatmeal, water, 1 cup pumpkin, cinnamon, 1 cup frozen strawberries and almond butter

 

DSC05343

 

Then it was off to the tournament.

 

karate2

 

The awesome twosome waiting for their events to start.

 

karate

 

The kids competed against others with similar rank.  D and Rocco were in the white/yellow belt group. 

 

karate3

 

Of course they never separated.  They are 2 peas in a pod.

 

karate4

 

Rocco was up first in the Forms category.  D did not compete in Forms – he chose 2 other events.

 

karate5

 

Showing the judges his stuff.

 

karate6

 

He came in 4th place and walked off proudly holding his trophy. 

 

karate7

 

Which he then admired for a while.

 

 

karate8 karate9

 

D’s first event was Self Defense. 

 

karate10

 

Each kiddo had to perform 5 different self defense moves for the judges. 

For example, this was a wrist grab.

 

karate11

 

And then another. I do not know the name or number they call it. I am sure you get the gist of the event.

 

karate12

 

Afterwards, he came back to wait for the judges to score his performance.

 

karate13

 

It was Rocco’s turn for the Self Defense category.

 

karate14

   

The competitors waiting for the results.

 

karate15

 

Rocco placed 2nd and D placed 4th. They both were super excited to be sporting fancy medals.

 

karate16

 

Their last event was Grapling.  The dynamic duo met on the mat.

 

 

karate18

 

They wrestled for a while.

 

karate17

 

Each one showing the other no mercy.

 

karate19

 

But in the end ………

 

karate20karate21 

 

D was victorious.

karate23

 

Then D had to compete for the 1st place position.

 

karate24

   

His competition was a little bigger than him.

 

karate25

 

And took him down pretty quickly.

 

karate26

 

In the end, D came in 2nd and Rocco placed 3rd.

 

karate27

 

D was thrilled that he placed 2nd and got another medal. Charlie and I are so proud of him. He really enjoyed himself today.  He is already looking forward to the next time he gets to compete in a tournament. 

Sorry that I did not take more foodie photos.  Today was more about karate than what I was putting in my tummy.  I ate all the usual “Sammie foods” – hemp butter, apple, zucchini, almond butter, pear, Quorn Chik’n Nuggets. 

Tonight Charlie and I are watching the Patriots game.  There may be some sorbet consumed while we snuggle up.  I hope you have a great night. 

2 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Fabulous morning run!


Congratulations to little D!

Olivia said...

I'm so proud of him!! I'll have to show Jack these pictures when he gets home later - he was very pleased when I told him D was going to be in a tournament. I can't wait to get Benny into Karate. I hope he likes it as much as D does.

Please tell D his Aunt is very proud of him (and loves him!!)