Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Ending with Bliss

Happy Wednesday!  I finally have a few minutes to say hello and share the happenings of my day. 

I was out the door at my usual hour to hit up the gym.  I did a 5 mile run, 1.2 mile walking hill climb on the treadmill and weights.  I really love cranking up the incline and feeling my body work hard.  It was a fabulous.

Last night I did a little breakfast prep since I am pressed for time on Wednesday mornings.  I made some dairy free overnight oats.  I mixed 1/2 a cup of oatmeal, 1/2 a scoop Jay Robb Vanilla Rice Protein, about 3/4 cup water, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1/2 cup frozen sliced strawberries and cinnamon.  When I pulled it out of the fridge this morning the liquid was pretty much completely absorbed and the berries were thawed.  I added a few more fresh sliced strawberries, PB2 and a tablespoon almond butter.  It looks a little rough but it was delicious.  I am not trading in my warm oats but I will make this again (probably any morning that I am in a rush – like Saturdays & Wednesdays). 

 

DSC05137

 

With my sidekick in tow, it was back to the gym for my weekly babysitting shift.  It was a typical morning in the kids room – craziness galore.  We both arrived home with growling tummies so it was lunch time ASAP.  I made the D Man a quick sunflower seed butter & jelly sandwich with cucumbers. 

My lunch was a same old Sammie combo – except I added a hunk of almond cheese to the plate. 

english muffin with hemp seed butter & jelly, zucchini and apple

 

DSC05145 

Then it was time to bring my little sweet tart to school.  While I was all by myself, I went to the bookstore.  It was so nice to browse and not have someone asking me if I was done yet every two seconds.  I also stopped at Whole Foods and picked up a few goodies. 

One of which I had for dinner – Quorn Chik’n Tenders. 

 

DSC05149

 

I cooked up a servings worth (80 calories, 1 gram of fat, and 10 grams of Protein – in case you are curious), in my toaster over.  They kind of look like chicken chunks but I did not think that they really taste like chicken.  They were good but of course I had to dip them in ketchup (I am an Annie’s Naturals Organic ketchup-a-holic).  They look a little spongy but are really more crumbly in texture.  I am glad that I tried them, lets hope that my belly likes them too. 

 

DSC05160

 

I also had oven fries which was just a thinly sliced potato baked in the oven with salt, pepper and oregano at 450 degrees until super crispy.  A few of them were a little too crispy. Oops, that’s what I get for making 2 dinners at the same time.  They still tasted yummy (also dipped in ketchup).  Even D ate a few and asked me to make him some.  I will definitely be doing that. Watch, I will make them for him and he will refuse to eat them. Stay positive, Mommy – he might surprise you. 

With my Quorn chunks and fries, I had 2 pieces of crispy toast topped with a tablespoon of almond butter and apple butter.

 

DSC05162

 

My main squeeze got  Penne with Roasted Tomatoes, Garlic and White Beans from The Food You Crave cookbook by Ellie Krieger.  Her recipes are very simple and are always a hit with Charlie – even when they do not contain meat.  You might be wondering why I did not partake in this meal seeing as it is vegetarian and dairy free.  I am not a fan of pasta. I really have to be in the mood for it and that was not my mood this evening.  He now has plenty of leftovers for at least 2 more meals. 

 

DSC05157

 

The other treat that I purchased at Whole Foods was Coconut Bliss.  After seeing Veggie Girl’s review, which was such a joy to watch, I had to try it for myself.  I did not buy the flavor that she blogged about (Chocolate Hazelnut Fudge), as I want Charlie to be able to try it out if he so pleases and he is allergic to hazelnuts.   

I went with the simple Vanilla Island flavor.

 

DSC05163

 

For my dessert tonight, I had a 1/2 cup serving.  Coconut Bliss blows the competition away (which I had way back when).  It was so creamy and silky.  It really does have the same texture as regular ice cream – extremely rich and decadent. There is a mild coconut flavor but the vanilla sure was vibrant. Even if you are not a coconut fan, I highly recommend that you give Coconut Bliss a shot.  Especially if you are not able to eat soy and are avoiding dairy. It was nice to have a little special treat tonight, something that I have not had in a while. 

 

 

DSC05166

 

It was a blissful ending to my day.

After my little monkey is in dreamland, I am sticking my face in my book – Eclipse here I come.  Yup, I made it to book 3.  I am super excited to jump in. 

I hope you have a great night. See you tomorrow.

4 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

YEEEEESSSS!!! So glad you liked the Coconut Bliss; and thank you for the shout out :)

MelissaNibbles said...

I like the Quorn cutlets a lot. I agree that they don't taste like chicken (I think they taste more like turkey), but their texture is less grainy than other brands. I hope your tummy likes them too.

What a nice day you had with a great workout and time to yourself in the bookstore. It sounds fabulous!

Anonymous said...

I love Ellie's cookbook. She had (has? I never see it anymore) a show on Food Network that I used to love to watch-- she seemed to just have a healthy glow about her. That pasta and bean recipe is great-- I love the fresh basil in it!

Vince Da Blisser said...

Thank you for the comment about Coconut Bliss, and thank you VeggieGirl for the video and blog posts and everything!

Blissful regards,
Vince Da Blisser
form the Coconut Bliss Mothership, Eugene, OR