Friday, October 9, 2009

The Versatile Veggie

There is one vegetable that I feel is very versatile – the squash.  Whether it be summer (AKA crook neck), zucchini, butternut, acorn and so on in that same group of gourds.  I am able to make sweet and savory meals that contain these veggies and the best part – this family of vegetables is friendly to my belly.  Yup, squash is one of the veggies that does not reek havoc on my digestive system – I can not say the same for the root veggies – they don’t like me. 

This morning, after a glorious workout at the gym – 7.2 mile run, weights and foam rolling, I headed home with thoughts of a yummy bowl of oat bran on the brain. 

The star ingredient today was – PUMPKIN!!!!  Hooray for the return of Pumpkin Oat bran – Fall is in full bloom at my homestead. 

 

DSC04599

 

I cooked up 1/2 a cup of oat bran with 2 tbsp Hemp Pro 70, water, cinnamon and 1/2 a cup Libby’s canned pumpkin. 

At the end I stirred in 1 cup frozen blueberries.  Then came the luscious toppers – 1 tbsp sunflower seed butter, PB2 and 1 tbsp apple butter. 

 

DSC04600

 

My favorite Apple Butter is the kind without added sugar. I found this stuff at Stop & Shop – it is delicious and added that extra touch of Fall to my breakfast.

 

DSC04596

 

For lunch today I had 2 other varieties of squash – zucchini and spaghetti squash. 

I mixed the two with a chopped apple – sounds odd but it was GOOD!!!

 

 DSC04612

 

I also had a whole wheat english muffin topped with swiss cheese, sunflower seed butter and apple butter.  Yes, I am now hooked on the apple butter.

I was still a little hungry so I spread another tbsp of the sunflower seed butter and the AB on 2 Wasa Crackers (lunch dessert I guess).  After that I was satisfied. 

 

DSC04611 

D is at school but not for that much longer – man did the time fly by.  At least I got a little vacuuming done. 

We have a special guest coming tomorrow – Any guesses?  This weekend should be a good one.  I am really looking forward to the next few days.  How is your weekend looking?  Any plans? 

Well I am off to enjoy the last few moments of peace and quiet in my house.  I hope you have a great Friday.

5 comments:

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) said...

Is your mom coming? That would be so great for you!

I too have been eating so much squash lately it's insane. I've yet to find a variety I'm not enamored with.

Have a great weekend!!!

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

Look at your Christmas colored lunch. I love making my spaghetti squash sweet and savory. It's so good with a little honey, some salt, and a handful of raisins. Even better with some roasted almonds thrown in the mix. :)

So loving Fall. Love pumpkins and squash - never want this season to end.

Have a good weekend with your mystery guess Sammie!

Laura E said...

I definitely agree with you about how versatile squash is.

It felt like Fall here in NE for a couple days and then this morning I woke up to 27* weather and 2 inches of snow on the ground :(

polly said...

LOVE YOU, Sammie!!

I just caught up on everything and D is adorable in that patch! It truly is a pumpkin. God is so good! :) Love you and hope you enjoy your guest!!

How is your belly? Does it like the wheat? Also, just found Chobani yogurts on sale for DOLLAR a piece! Does your belly/skin like those? Enjoy this beautiful Fall with your sweet taters (Charlie and Declan) and enjoy your new book! I have wondered about that Twilight series and you'll have to keep us updated and how it plays out. Okay, I keep saying it but I love ya, my long distance bff!!

You'll have to see my pumpkin on my blog... she is growing up fast before my eyes. XOXO Pol

polly said...

I meant D is truly a pumpkin... I am a typo queen. hehe