Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sunday in the Kitchen

Hello blogland.  How has your weekend been going?  We have had a pretty low key 2 days – rather enjoyable indeed. 

D and I did end up going out for pizza on Friday night.  We went to Spruce Pond also knows as Franklin Flatbreads.  They use all organic ingredients and even use whole wheat flour in the pizza crust.

My cute date with a massive cup of chocolate milk – he couldn’t even drink 1/2 of it.

 

sprucepond

 

We ordered a small cheese pizza. They put a little more cheese on it than I would prefer but nevertheless, it was delicious. 

 

DSC04779

 

They use a wood oven which results in this super thin and crispy crust.

 

 

DSC04781

 

So today I decided to get creative in the kitchen and make homemade veggie burgers.  I followed the recipe from my America’s Test Kitchen The Best Light Recipes. I cut the recipe in half so that I would only get 6 patties. 

They are a little time consuming – thankfully Daddy was here to keep D occupied.  All the work was totally worth it (I should have made 12 and put some in the freezer). Even my meat-eating man thought the burgers were delicious – he ate 2.  I had one for dinner with a slice of swiss cheese and it was really great – way better than any store bought brand.  You really can not go wrong with the America’s Test Kitchen Recipes.  Everything that I have ever made of theirs has been a hit.   

 

veggieburger 

 

My next experiment was inspired by Peanut Butter Fingers.  She made the Easiest Cookies which looked really delicious.  You all know that I am usually a “from scratch girl” but I really wanted to try out her recipe. 

I mixed these together (I opted to not use Duncan Hines Spice Cake Mix which contains soy so that I may partake in the goodies).  I also added a peeled and chopped Macintosh apple. 

 

DSC04802

 

 

I divided the batter among a 12 cup muffin pan instead of making cookies. 

 

 

DSC04804 

 

And the final product – gorgeous little cakes.

 

 

DSC04808

 

 

They smell AMAZING!!! I can’t wait to try one.  These were seriously the easiest thing to whip up.  If you are in the mood for something sweet but do not want to spent oodles of time in the kitchen or if you just are not a baker, than I highly recommend this recipe. 

 

 

DSC04814 DSC04815

 

My plan for the evening is to fold laundry and watch Desperate Housewives.  Somewhere in there I am going to fit in one of those cup cakes.  I’ll let you know how they turned out. 

I hope you have a great night.  See you tomorrow.

4 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Sounds like you had a fabu weekend! I can't wait to hear how your cupcakes taste, they look so delicious!

peanutbutterfingers said...

i'm so, so happy you made these. i love your take on the recipe. they look delicious! :) yum, yum.

HeatherBakes said...

Great weekend! I'm impressed by the homemade veggie burgers- I've only tried making these once (different recipe) and they totally fell apart.

D is a man after my own heart. LOVE chocolate milk :)

Tina said...

I love America's Test Kitchen! My sister and I were big fans of the Cook's Illustrated magazines. It's nice knowing that their recipes are pretty much guaranteed to be delicious because they test and retest sooo many times!