Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Food that Fuels Me

Hello blogland.  How has your Tuesday been?  The weather here today was so raw.  I wish I lived someplace warm.  I am such a chilly person and I hate to be cold.  Layers are very necessary. 

This morning I was up and out the door by 5 AM to hit up the gym.  I did 20 minutes on the Stepmill, 20 minutes on the Elliptical and a 20 minute run on the Treadmill. I also fit in a great strength training session. 

Breakfast was a warm bowl of Pumpkin Oats.

1/2 cup oats, water, 1 full scoop of Jay Robb Vanilla Rice Protein powder, 1/2 cup pumpkin, cinnamon, PB2 and almond butter.

Pure deliciousness!!!

 

DSC04949

 

Lunch was bread with peanut butter, mushrooms, sliced apple

 

DSC04954

 

zucchini, kidney beans and the rest of the apple. I tossed on a few shakes of cinnamon for a little punch of flavor. 

 

DSC04955

 

This afternoon I had to drag D to the grocery store.  Being so busy this weekend, I never managed to get my shopping done. I am using a few of Ellie Krieger’s recipes for Charlie’s dinners this week. I went to the store with a mission – I love when I plan ahead.  Even though I had my list, it still took me forever – having the “wee one” along will do that.   Thankfully I walked out of there without forgetting anything.  Honey you will have some yummy (meat free) dinners this week. 

Tonight I made him Portobello Lasagna Rollups along with her Arugula Salad with Pesto Vinaigrette.  Why do I always choose the recipes with multiple steps?  The rollups are not that difficult to prepare once you get through all the prep work.  Poor D really was annoyed with me.  At least the salad was a cinch. My main man loved them both and there is lots of leftovers for him to take for lunches this week.

For my dinner I basically ate the same thing that I did for lunch – english muffin topped with almond butter and sunflower seed butter, apple and mushrooms. 

 

DSC04959

 

And I had roasted acorn squash mixed with chick peas, apple and cinnamon. I guess I just can’t go wrong with my lovely veggie/fruit/cinnamon combo.  It is filling, flavorful and belly friendly. 

 

DSC04963 

So there you have the food that fuels this mama.  I did sneak in a quick snack this afternoon while I was cooking up a storm.  I had a pear and a protein drink – 1/2 a scoop of Life Time Protein mixed with 1 cup almond milk. Sorry there is no photo – I literally tossed it in my face as I was cooking.  No time to stop and break out the camera.  Besides it really was not that fancy to look at. 

Tomorrow is a babysitting day so I should probably get to bed early.  It is just way to hard to put my book down once I get into my groove.  I am so close to the end.  I hope you have a great night.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dislike the cold too. Your pics make me smile. Thanks.
I think I need to reconsider all the meat and fish I eat every night !
At lunch though it was basically chicpeas, vegetables and nuts and stuff. I eat a lot of peanut butter and nuts. How many tbsps do you eat a day? I think I am abnormal.
Another question: would you eat that exact way even if you did not exercise? My lifestyle is inactive right now and I wonder if maybe I should emphasize more protein rather than all these beans and bread.

Anonymous said...

P.S.,
I am going to have those pumpkin oats for breakfast or lunch sometime soon. You put the peanut butter on after right?

carolinebee said...

Ohhhh sammie remember reading about your hate for the cold when i was back in sunny CA! haha i don't know how you manage but I know if u can handle it I will be able to :D I'm investing in tons of blankets, huge jackets..and a flight home in December! Love the fall though

Tina said...

Ugh, I totally agree with you, I HATE the cold!!

Sammie said...

Anon,
It is hard to say how I would eat if I was not this active. I have never been one to sit around so I have always had a fast metabolism - it runs in my family.
I do not believe in a diet that is heavy on one particular food group. No matter what kind of lifestyle you lead, I think everyone needs nutrients from all of the food groups. Some people just need a little more than others. I am not a professional so I highly suggest that you ask someone that is more educated on the subject.

As far as the oats, I pour on the PB2 first then I add the nut butter of choice on that particular morning. Lately I have been really digging the almond butter. I hope you enjoy it.