Saturday, September 5, 2009

There is some left

Good morning and Happy Saturday.  Due to the holiday on Monday, D’s karate dojo is closed this weekend so we are not rushing out the door at 8:30 this morning. 

I still got up at the usual hour and hit the pavement.  I did a nice 7 miler and enjoyed every single stride.  I was having one of those runs where I was in deep thought the entire time.  I took D to visit a preschool yesterday and we both LOVED it.  Charlie and I have been on the fence as to whether or not we wanted to try the whole preschool thing with him.  I really think that since he is an only child, he will benefit greatly from the interaction with other kids.  My nephew is going to kindergarten this year so their play time together is definitely going to be limited.  Also, I think that a 3 day preschool will prepare him for kindergarten next fall.  He is never without Mommy so that will be something that he needs to get used to too (and Mommy being without him – I’m trying not to tear up at the thought). We are trying to figure out if this extra expense will fit into our budget.  During my run this morning I could not stop thinking about this new chapter we might embark upon. My baby is growing up and it is very difficult to accept that at times.  I just have to take each new experience and cherish them as much as I can.  If we decide to send him to school it will start next Friday – eek!!  Yes, that soon. He would go every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 12:30 – 3:00.  That is a lot of time by myself – imagine all the cleaning I could get done.  I will keep you posted on our decision. 

So I have been trying out the Dessert Hummus on a few things.  Yes there is still some left but I could seriously polish a container off in no time. 

I tried the Chocolate Mouse and Toasted Almond on a strawberry – AMAZING!!!!

DSC04023

 

The first experience I had with the hummus was yesterday afternoon (as soon as the stuff arrived at my doorstep). I put a dollop of the Maple Walnut flavor on a scoop of cottage cheese – KILLER!!!! 

 

DSC04010 DSC04013

 

This morning I added a tablespoon of the Maple Walnut hummus to my oatmeal.  I really do not think that I can find a way that I would not enjoy this delicious spread.

Today’s oats contained 1/2 a cup oatmeal cooked on the stove with 1/2 a cup of milk and water.  I added cinnamon and frozen blueberries during the cooking process (we are out of bananas).  I then topped it off with PB2 and the hummus. 

 

DSC04026

I also want to share with you a super speedy dinner I made last night.  I tore out a recipe from the Body & Soul magazine that I received in my swag bag from the Healthy Living Summit.   It took no time at all to prepare.

Wild Mushroom and  Scallion Frittata

3 eggs

3 egg whites

1/4 cup cottage cheese

6 mushrooms, sliced

4 scallions chopped

salt and pepper to taste

 

DSC04015

Mix together the eggs, egg white and cottage cheese. Add the mushrooms, scallions, salt and pepper.  Heat an oven proof skillet coated with a little oil – I used my olive oil mister.  Add the egg & mushroom mixture to the skillet and cook until the bottom is nicely browned and the eggs are set.  Place the pan under the broiler for 3-4 minutes or until the middle no longer jiggles and the eggs are fully cooked.  So simple, right. And the ingredient options are endless when it comes to frittatas. 

I topped a wedge with muenster cheese then placed it back under the broiler to melt. I served it alongside a couple buttermilk pancakes.

 

DSC04018

 

I made the pancakes in a matter of minutes too.  I mixed 1/4 cup of this Organic Buttermilk mix with water.  If I was going for a sweet cake I would have added sugar. Since this was a savory meal I left it out.

 

DSC04014

So there you have another breakfast for dinner option. It was on the table in under 30 minutes. I was trying to get the D Man fed while I cooked so I am sure that it would be faster if you are not tending to a little one while you are cooking.

I am off to clean the back porch.  I was able to talk Charlie into helping me.  There is no before picture because it is quite embarrassing. Hopefully the finished result will be blog worthy.

I hope you have a great day.

4 comments:

MelissaNibbles said...

Good luck with the preschool decision. It must be difficult, but just think of it as a chance for D to make new friends.

The dessert hummus looks yummy in the oats!

polly said...

hi my SWEET long distance bff!!!

I just caught up... oh my D's short hair is so CUTE! but... it makes me sad since he is a big boy now. sniff. I understand totally about the preschool thing. Abbers is an only child too, and it was actually great for both of us. (yes I still cried every single year on the first day/week of school) but she loved it and it really was a fun time and a wonderful chance to make friends and learn rules and get used to being away from home. Oh Sammie, I think you both will love it, sweetie!!

Hey girl, are you eating wheat now? I think I missed that someplace! I too, am back to wheat and so happy! Taking it slow, but man oh man I missed my bowls of shredded wheat cereal. (simple and so perfectly yummy) and all your baked goods look amazing!

Okay, it's late but had to send a hug your way. I will pray that you guys and the preschool plan. Abbi always went in the AM, since she still took a nap everyday until Kindgergarten! (my little peanut was tiny and needed extra zzz's)

Love you bunches and bunches,
Pol

polly said...

a few typos in my comment... I think you can read between the goofs. :) XOXO Love you, cute Sammie girl. I forgot to say I love it that you give your nana perms. XOXO

polly said...

p.s. AGAIN. :)

Yes goat milk products are GROSS! I tried the yogurt once... one bite and yes, I was back on the farm in a barn... it's like I licked the fence after a cow pooped on it. hehehe