Monday, September 7, 2009

He Molted

Hello blogland.  Did you have a nice weekend?  We have had some pretty good times around my homestead the past few days.  D is thrilled that Daddy has today off. They are currently playing the Movie Cars game on the Wii. 

We managed to clean the back porch up rather nicely and now I have a nice spot to relax (if I ever choose to take a load off which is a rare occasion).  My guys have been enjoying the new sitting area. I am really glad that we are now using the porch for more than a place to collect junk.  I need to get some curtains out there. The ones that were on the windows came with the house and well, they were UGLY!!!  I just left them there so I did not have to run out and buy something right away.  Yeah, it has taken me six years to take them down.  See we really never used the porch as a room – it was a clutter keeper. 

 

backporch1 backporch2backporch3backporch4

 

Other exciting news – our hermit crab molted.  I looked in his tank and saw something peculiar in the corner. It looked like a flattened crab out of his shell.  I then noticed our little critter was still in his Spiderman shell (thank goodness – I thought that he had retired). 

 

molted

 

He is looking a little pink, probably due to the fact that his new shell is fresh. 

 

molted2 

 

He was a little timid at first.

 

molted3

 

But he eventually came out to say hello.

 

molted4

Yesterday we went to a new Whole Foods that just opened at Legacy Place.  WOW, this is the most amazing WF that we have ever been to.  There is so much stuff in this store – a huge selection of wine, beer, prepared food stations galore, an espresso bar, gelato bar, cheeses a plenty, fresh pasta bar, the largest antipasto bar I have ever seen and so much more. It was crazy busy but totally worth the adventure. 

We walked around the mall and browsed the other stores.  There are plenty of stores open already but more to come.  I am waiting for the Free People store to open – I love their clothes. 

I baked a fresh loaf of Whole Wheat bread yesterday so the house was smelling mighty delicious last night. 

 

wheatbread

 

I will be slicing off a few pieces for my lunch today.

 

wheatbread2

 

Other foodie goodness that I have consumed – TAZA chocolate. It is soy & dairy free.  I have mentioned this brand on the blog before (I have sampled the cinnamon and the vanilla flavors).  This chocolate is by far the best chocolate on the planet.

 

Taza

 

It is very rich and a little goes a long way. This was one of the purchases that we made at the new Whole Foods.  We also bought the Guajillo Chili flavor.  I have not tried it yet but Charlie did.  He said it was delicious but thought the Cacao Puro was tastier.

 

 Taza2

 

Another cool thing that Charlie and D did at Whole Foods was to concoct their own trail mix at the Trail Mix Bar – how cool is that?!?!  They mixed granola, chocolate chips, dried pineapple, raisins, banana chips, cashews, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. 

Seriously this Whole Foods rocks. 

 

D&Ctrailmix D&Ctrailmix2

 

I whipped up a little veggie casserole the other day – no recipe just winged it as I went. 

I layered zucchini, summer squash, tomato and muenster cheese in 2 mini loaf pans.  I added 1/2 a cup cottage cheese mixed with one whole egg, salt pepper and dried basil in between the layers as I was assembling.  I then topped it off with more muenster cheese before baking.

 

bakedveggies

I baked them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. 

I think next time I will cook the squash before layering.  There was a little liquid in the bottom of the pans that I am thinking came from the veg.  I ate one for dinner on Saturday night and it was delicious.  I think I might have the other one tonight.

 

bakedveggie2

I had a salad with the veggie casserole.  It was more of a fruity salad than veggie.  I mixed lettuce, red & green grapes, blueberries and strawberries. I used PB2 mixed with extra water as the dressing.  This was like a dessert salad.

 

fruitlettucePB2

 

I have been enjoying my dessert hummus.  I really like it on top of my oatmeal. 

This was yesterday’s post-run oats.

1/2 cup oats cooked with water, a scoop of Jay Rob Vanilla Rice Protein, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, cinnamon and a tablespoon each of Toasted Almond and Chocolate Mousse Dessert Hummus.

 

blueberryoats&desserthummus

 

Today's post-run bowl of deliciousness. 

1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup milk & water, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, cinnamon, PB2 and a tablespoon each of Toasted Almond and Chocolate Mousse Dessert Hummus.

 

blueberryoatsdesserthummuspb2

 

Yes, the hummus is like frosting.  Mama LovIN had asked me what the difference between the hummus and frosting was.  Well I would have to say that the hummus is a healthier alternative but by no means does it lack creaminess or flavor.  I would totally frost a cupcake with this stuff.  The D Man really likes the Maple Walnut and the Chocolate Mousse flavors.  So you know it has to be delish for Mr. Picky to like it.  I believe he actually said yum when he tasted them.  He did not like the Toasted Almond – that is my favorite.  To bad that I finished off the container this morning. How long did it last in my house – 4 days – hehe!!!!

Well this is a monster post – are you still reading? 

We are still mulling over the preschool idea.  Hopefully we can come to a conclusion this evening.  Orientation is Wednesday so we need to know by then for sure.  I will keep you updated. 

Happy Labor Day!!! 

2 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Sorry, but I'm SUPER fixated on the Taza chocolate - love that brand. Have you tried Theo though?? THAT'S the #1 soy-free/delicious brand (in my opinion, haha).

Julie said...

I agree, the new WF at Legacy Place is amazing!!! I went on Friday to check it out and was there waaaay too long! I'm going again today with my sister to get lunch. Maybe we'll have some dessert from the dessert bar too! I'm a little too excited for this!