Monday, September 21, 2009

Daddy’s Turn

Hello, did you think that I abandoned you? Nope, I have been super busy the past three days and I finally have 2 minutes to catch you all up on the happenings of this crazy mama’s life.

Let’s go back to Saturday.  After D’s karate class we decided to head to the South Boston Street Fair.  It was not really what I was expecting but since it was a beautiful day and we were able to find free on-street parking, nothing was lost. 

 

DSC04257

 

D go to climb around some pretty cool vehicles.

 

 

boat1 

 

We also walked along the street to check out the different venders – there really wasn’t nearly as much stuff as was advertised.  Nothing really caught my eye but it was still great to be out with my guys.

 

hummer

 

Sunday we went apple picking at our favorite spot.  Tougas Farm is great and from the crowd that was present we are not the only ones who think so. 

 

DSC04283

applepicking

We waited in line to get our bag.

 

DSC04287

 

We opted for the 1/2 bushel. The extra large Honey Crisp apples take up a lot of space and I wanted to be sure to get plenty of them.

 

DSC04286

We decided to hoof it to the orchard instead of taking the tractor ride.  The wait was way too long and it was such a beautiful day to take a leisurely stroll.

 

DSC04285

 

First stop was to the land of Honey Crisp. Of course I had to sink my teeth into one ASAP. 

 

 

applepicking2

 

Just as good as I remembered from last season.  This big guy was so sweet and juicy that the juice was dripping off my hands.

 

applepicking3

After we filled our 1/2 bushel, Charlie decided to fill a peck with Cortland and Macs so that I can make him some apple yummies.  The only way Charlie can eat apple is if they have been cooked – raw apples make his mouth itchy.

Then it was to the onsite playground so that D could have some fun too.  He likes apple picking but the playground was really where he wanted to be.  After about an hour it was time to hit the road.  Yeah, he wore himself out. 

 

pooped

 

And here is our loot.  My stash contains Honey Crisp, Golden Delicious and Gala.   I will be sure to show you what I make for Charlie with the other apples.

 

apples

 

On the drive home Charlie was listening to the Pats game.  This is his serious face – he was not happy with how the game was going.

 

serious

 

Obviously I have been filling my belly with things other than apples, like blueberry oat bran topped with a Mother’s Natural Carmel Rice Cake for crunch and then a drizzle of PB2. 

 

DSC04270

 

I also found turkey burgers at Whole Foods that seemed like a quick and healthy meal.  I ate one topped with swiss cheese and it is very good.  Some times this busy mommy has to resort to preformed patties but at least they are not full of funky ingredients.

 

DSC04278

 

Sometimes this busy mommy has to resort to preformed patties but at least they are not full of funky ingredients and the nutritionals are acceptable.  The only ingredient listed – 100% Natural Ground Turkey Thighs. 

 

DSC04279

 

I also ate a peculiar squash from my sis’s garden.  This was a summer squash that was also a light shade of green.  She got a few of these from her garden this year – was the seed some sort of hybrid?

 

 

DSC04282

 

And now on to this morning. We had to rush out the door to get Charlie to the hospital for an Endoscopy – it was daddy’s turn for the scope down his throat.  D did not have school today due to a Professional Development Day so at least I had one less thing to worry about. 

I made a super thick and creamy bowl of apple cinnamon oat bran for breakfast before we hit the road. 

 

DSC04302

D and I ended up going to the mall to kill some time – daddy was going to be busy for a good 3 hours.  We ended up hitting Au Bon Pain for a little something to fill D’s tummy.  I can always count on a bagel with this boy – he loves bread.  His face was covered in butter by the time he was finished. 

 

 

butterface

 

I had a cup of tea, which to my surprise, they offered Harney & Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice – one of my favs. 

 

 

DSC04304

I got the call from the hospital that Charlie was all set so we went and picked him up and brought him home for some TLC.  Thankfully his esophagus looks great.  The reason for the procedure was to make sure that years of acid reflux had not damaged it at all (he does take medication for it).  The doctor did find some inflammation in his stomach so he did a biopsy to check what might be causing it.  Those results are still to come.

WOW, that was a monster post.  I can’t believe what time it is.  I have to start thinking about what to make for dinner.  I hope that you all had a great  weekend.  Enjoy the rest of your day.

4 comments:

allijag said...

That is a fantastic picture of you and D together! :)

Apple picking with my family is one of my all time favorite memories - I am positive it is something D will think back on fondly years from now :)

MelissaNibbles said...

What a great bunch of apples! Will you be making a pie with all that loot?

The turkey burgers are very convenient. I've never seen all natural ones before. I'll have to see if my Whole Foods carries them.

I hope your hubby is feeling better soon.

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

Honey Crisps are my favorite Sammie!!!!

You and D have the same smile. :)

Glad everything is A-okay with Charlie...CD has that same serious face when his Bears are losing. Thank goodness they won yesterday!

Charlie said...

The Pats lose (to the Jets! grr), and my fantasy football team gets spanked, and then I get scoped. Great weekend.

I defintely need that apple pie.