Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Broccoli In My Oats

Yes, you read that right.  Last night when I was thinking about what to make for dinner, I remembered that not one single veggie had passed through my lips – that is very unusual for me.  Charlie requested a simple bowl of pasta with butter – he was told to take it easy with food for the day.  D got the same thing. I opted for a bowl of oats (easy and always filling), to which I snuck in some frozen broccoli florets (I despise the stalks – ick!) so that I could at least get a little green in my system.  Honestly, I really could not taste it.  There may have been a hint of veggie flavor but the Vanilla Rice Protein Powder is pretty sweet plus I added an apple in the mix too (I have no problem fitting in my fruit quota for the day).  I would actually eat this again and I just might sooner rather than later.  Now I just need to figure out a way to sneak green veggies into D’s food.  He gagged on peas the other night – not good!!!! 

 

DSC04312

 

This morning’s bowl of oat bran did not contain any vegetable matter but it was full of blueberries.

I cooked up my typical 1/2 cup with water and 1/2 a scoop of Jay Robb Vanilla Rice Protein.  I added a good dose of cinnamon and 1 full cup of frozen blueberries.  I topped it off with a tablespoon of Sunflower Seed Butter

I bet that this would have tasted great even with a little touch of broccoli – don’t knock it until you try it.

 

DSC04317

I made it to the gym again this morning where I did a 4 mile run, 10 minutes on the Stairclimber and 20 minutes on the Elliptical.  I fit in a great strength training workout while I was there as well.  I don’t know what was with me this summer – I really slacked on the weights.  I am back with it – thankfully it was not too difficult for me to get back into my old routine.  I do love my running but boy do I notice a difference when I strength train. 

I have lots to do today so I must get to it.

2 comments:

Val said...

Hi Sammie, I've never commented before, but I enjoy your blog! I just wanted to say how impressed I always am with your workouts...your mileage especially! You say it so casually but 4 miles, stairs, elliptical & weights?! Awesome!

HeatherBakes said...

I'm cracking up at your broccoli oats!! But I'm all about the spinach smoothies, so it's probably not all that different.

Way to go on the strength training! I'm all about the cardio but HATE weights. Do you really think it helps with running? Once Jack gets here I definitely need to start some type of strength routine.