Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Blueberry Spelt Bread

Yesterday I made my first spelt flour product.  I did a little tweaking to a few recipes to come up with my own.  Here is the final result.

 

BlueberrySpeltBread

 

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

1 whole egg + 1 egg white

1/2 cup organic skim milk

1/4 cup agave

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp sea salt

3/4 cup spelt flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)

3/4 cup whole wheat flour (I prefer to use King Arthur)

4 oz fresh blueberries

It tastes a little like the brown bread from a can.  Do you all remember that stuff?  My Nana used to serve it at family dinners all the time when I was a kid.  I have not had it in years but I used to really dig the molasses flavor.  My bread is very light and not too sweet.  I really like the fresh blueberries but I think that a lot of them sank to the bottom.  I should have tossed them in a bit of flour before adding them to the batter in order to avoid that – oh well, it is still yummy.

 

BlueberrySpeltBread2

Today we have a full schedule.  I have already been to the gym for the weekly babysitting shift and now I am just about to hit the road again to bring D to preschool orientation.  After that we are going to my sis’s house for a visit.  Thankfully I had just enough time to do some laundry this afternoon.  I hate when the piles are HUGE. 

I did fit in a little “me” time before the sun was up this morning.  I did a 6.5 mile run in the great outdoors and loved every stride. 

Breakfast was another bowl of dessert hummus topped oats.  I added some PB2 for an extra decadent bowl. Chocolate + PB – does it get any better than that? 

BBOatsWithPB2&ChocMousseHummus

Sorry to make this so short but I really have to get out of here.  Enjoy your day.  I can’t believe it is already Wednesday. Where has the week gone?

4 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Incredible blueberry bread!!

Good luck with your Wednesday!!

Steph said...

Wow! Your bread looks amazing. I'm trying homemade bread for my first time today. Hope it looks as good as yours!

A@ Please Don't Eat Me! said...

yay for D going to school!!!! i am all for it!!! it will be the best thing for him.. he will be way more confident (not like he isnt now.. lol) and just thrive in school! (again, not like hes not at home..)

i think daycare/preschool is a great thing for prepping a child for kindergarten. Olivia went to day care starting when she was about 18 months old and i cried the first couple of days, but it only took a week before she got used to it and now shes just the most social happy go lucky little kid ever.. it was great!

Shannon said...

loving all the baking you've been doing sammie!! everything looks wonderful :) (yes, i'm very behind!) i need to try my hand at making some of my own dessert hummus!