Thursday, September 17, 2009

Black Cocoa

Today we did fit in a good couple hours of educational activity.  I am still amazed that D actually asks to do more – I really hope it lasts. 

We eventually had to break for lunch but seriously, D was still asking to do more work in one of the workbooks that we have been using.

I had an english muffin topped with cottage cheese and hemp seeds and a hard boiled egg.

 

DSC04232

 

I also had a peeled and chopped apple with cinnamon. 

 

 DSC04229

 

I did some baking this afternoon – I will reveal that at the end. 

For dinner I ventured into the land of oat bran in a jar.  HEAB’s amazing invention has been all over the blog circuit and I just had to see what all the hype is about. 

I made D a sunbutter sandwich for lunch but there was a teeny bit of sunbutter left in the jar so I saved it for just this purpose. 

I cooked up 1/2 a cup of oat bran mixed with water, 1/2 a scoop Vanilla Jay Robb Rice Protein powder, 1/2 a cup canned organic butternut squash, cinnamon and blueberries. 

It was super creamy, filling and absolutely delicious. 

 

DSC04233 

So now onto what I was busy making today.  Charlie is not a fan of chocolate cake because he thinks that the chocolate flavor is just meh.  He is a huge dark chocolate fan so the chocolate flavor really has to knock his socks off.  I have a bag of dark cocoa that I use to make him chocolate cake with and he LOVES it.  

I used the America’s Test Kitchen recipe for chocolate cupcakes but I made 6 jumbo cupcakes………..

 

DSC04239

 

…..and a full size cake.  The frosting is a knock off of the Oreo cream filling (thanks to King Arthur Flour). 

 

 

DSC04235

 

Charlie ate one of the cupcakes and was in a chocolate daze while he devoured it.  I’d say that I did good.

Tonight I am hoping to get into bed early – tomorrow is a cleaning day.  I am up for a busy morning since I have to get D to school at 12:30 and I usually get finished cleaning just before lunch.  At least I will have a few hours to recoup while he is at school.  That being said, I am not sure when I will be posting tomorrow.  I hope you don’t mind?   

Have a great night. 

4 comments:

Charlie said...

The cake was gone before lunch. The natives here at the plant quite enjoyed it.

Ann said...

Oh man. I was just telling Steve that I am totally craving cupcakes right now. Should have stayed away from the blog

Grandpa said...

I didn't try the cake but I got to lick the frosting bowl. Mmmmmm.

Lauren said...

Wow! You've got some will-power to bake all these delicious treats and not eat them! How on earth do you do it!
Looks great =)