Sunday, August 23, 2009

No Frills Weekend

Hello blogland!  We have had a very low key and relaxing weekend.  My poor husband has a cold and has been feeling very cruddy the past 2 days so he needed lots of TLC.  It is  always nice to just enjoy some home time and not be out and about all weekend.

On a foodie note, I have eaten wheat the past 2 days and my tummy seems to be fine.  Now lets hope that my skin reacts just as well.  I found a loaf of bread at Whole Foods that is soy free. I ate some last night and felt pretty great afterward.  I decided to whip up a loaf of whole wheat bread (the one from WF is not whole wheat). I used my bread machine to mix and knead the dough. I finished the loaf by hand and then baked it in the oven.  It came out AMAZING!!! 

I have lots of photos to share so here they are (not in the order that I consumed).

A typical Sammie style salad.

 

DSC03759

Apple Cinnamon Oats – sooooooo yummy!!!!

 

DSC03758 

Golden Beet Salad and Grilled Veggies from Whole Foods.

 

DSC03753 DSC03752

 

Salad with relish dressing – thanks Tina for the idea – it tasted delicious.  That is my homemade Whole Wheat bread topped with swiss cheese and almond butter. This is one of the best loaves of bread I have made.

 

DSC03802 DSC03801

 

Here is the loaf before going into the oven.  I used a King Arthur Flour recipe.  I made a few changes – I used a tablespoon oil instead of the butter and I subbed 3 tablespoons agave for the 3 tablespoons of sugar.

 

DSC03788

 

And the beauty freshly baked.  My entire house smelled like baking bread which just happens to be one of my favorite aromas.

DSC03794

  
DSC03796 DSC03797

Of course I have consumed my share of yogurt this weekend.

 DSC03786

I found a new one to try out – it was a winner. 

 

DSC03798

 

More salad.

 

DSC03785

 

Avocado and mozzarella on wheat bread.

 

 DSC03783

My usual AM snack – string cheese and a pear.

 

DSC03779 

Strawberry Banana Oats.

 

DSC03775 

Iggy’s bread – the soy free loaf I mentioned earlier.  It has a chewy crust with a soft interior.

 

DSC03768

Swiss and red pepper sandwich.

 

DSC03767

Salad – not my typical concoction.  I was in the mood for a change.  This contained lettuce, roasted red peppers, hearts of palm, sun dried tomatoes, olives, artichoke hearts, mozzarella and a drizzle of balsamic.

 

DSC03765

I will leave you with a picture of my sweet tart.

 

DSC03777

 

I hope you had a great weekend. See you tomorrow.

5 comments:

carolinebee said...

hey sammie!! Glad you are enjoying wheat trouble free :D That bread is gorgeous- my grandma used to make bread from scratch in the breadmaker...and that scent would lure in me indoors at any hour, so good! Hope your hub feels better :)

Meredith said...

that bread is beautiful! i have never made my own, i am too scared. yours is inspiring though and i do have a bread machine...

MelissaNibbles said...

The bread came out lovely! I can only imagine how yummy your house must've smelled.
Glad to hear your tummy is letting you enjoy it :)

Sheri said...

Your bread is beautiful! I wish when I made bread it turned out that pretty.

HeatherBakes said...

Okay, that bread looks better than anything we've ever made in class. You're a professional, Sammie!!

Hope Charlie is feeling better!