Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Jicama Salad

Today I had to make a run to Whole Foods to pick up ingredients to make another cheesecake.  Charlie’s coworkers are requesting another one – this time a plain cheesecake with a strawberry topping.  I am going to get to work on it tomorrow so I will be sure to share a drool worthy photo with you when it is finished. 

While I was at the store I spotted a jicama – a veggie that I have not had in a while.  So in the cart it went and then onto my dinner plate.  I made a Jicama Salad with red pepper, zucchini, summer squash and avocado.  I tossed the mix with a little balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. The jicama was crisp and sweet.  This was one of those fresh and light summery meals that just makes me thankful to have great produce at my fingertips. 

 DSC03621 

For Charlie’s dinner I made him a cold pasta salad.  I combined mini penne pasta (cooked al dente), cucumber, black olives, seeded & chopped tomato (the seeds make the salad too watery) and black beans.  I added about 1/2 a cup of homemade Catalina dressing.  I followed a recipe from my America’s Test Kitchen cookbook – this is a must have.  I have never made anything that he did not like from this book.  I spooned out his serving (this made a ton) onto a plate, added a little shredded cheese to the top and a few pita wedges on the side.  It was a hit. He commented on how great the dressing was even before I told him that I made it from scratch.  Another vegetarian meal that was a winner with my meat eating guy. 

 

DSC03624

 

I made dessert with a little Stonyfield Farm nonfat Vanilla Frozen yogurt. I just had to buy a little sweet treat at WF today for myself.  I chopped a peach added a little to the bottom of the bowl, then added a generous scoop of frozen yogurt followed by the rest of the chopped peach and blackberries. MMMMM - light and tasty!  I love having a bowl of fruit with a little frosty accent.  This is really yummy vanilla frozen yogurt. It has such an intense vanilla flavor that is not at all artificial. 

 

DSC03625

 

That is all for today my friends.  I am off to see what my guys are doing.  I hear some noise from the other room so I think they are playing video games.  

I hope you had a great day.  See you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Ooo the strawberry-topped cheesecake sounds awesome! I look forward to the photo :).

Your dinner and dessert look delicious.. fresh fruit and fro yo make for such a perfect summer sweet treat.

MelissaNibbles said...

The cheesecake sounds divine! I can't wait to drool over the photo. I think I'm going to try to make that pasta dish for my boyfriend. He always rolls his eyes when I make him a vegetarian meal, but 9 times out of 10 he ends up admitting that it was delish! Thanks for the idea :)