Friday, August 28, 2009

The Goodies from my Kitchen

Yesterday I ended up making some really great baked goodies.  I will go for weeks without baking and then I get hit with the baking bug and can’t stop.  It probably helps that I can now eat what I bake.  Yup, the wheat is not bothering me – at least the wheat products that I have added back in.  I am sticking to the minimally processed goods – mostly the stuff from my own oven.

The first thing that came out of my oven was the Oat Bran Broom Bread (recipe from the Whole Grain Breads by Peter Reinhart).

His technique for bread baking is different from Rose’s (The Bread Bible is one of my favorite baking books) and the King Arthur Flour bread recipe that I made last week.

So now I have made bread using 3 different methods which I find very interesting – like a science experiment. I actually kneaded this dough by hand – very therapeutic.  Here is the loaf resting in the pan.

 DSC03875

 

Look how lovely it is after rising for an hour and a half. 

 

DSC03885

 

My beauty fresh from the oven. 

 

 

DSC03886

I tested the bread for dinner with Barney Butter and a piece of mozzarella cheese.  It is delicious – soft and chewy at the same time.  Honestly, I like the flavor of the Whole Wheat bread better so I am going to try the recipe for WW bread from this book next.  Maybe the bran was the flavor component that I found to not be as scrumptious. 

 

 DSC03895

 

I also made a batch of Whole Wheat Oatmeal Muffins.  The recipe needs some tweaking so I will share it with you when it is A+.  I sampled one and although I think they are light and fluffy – the sweetness department needs work.  I did not want a very sweet muffin and trust me these are not.  I am just happy to be able to sink my teeth into a fresh baked muffin that does not have the texture of a brick.  Remember I had no luck with the gluten free baking.

 

DSC03893 DSC03892 DSC03890

 

I made a quick run to Whole Foods while my bread was rising in hopes that I would be able to find a Whole Wheat Pita.  I was thinking it would be nice to make Pita Pizzas.  Well even the Whole Foods brand contained soy – the 8 inch ones.  The mini ones do not but they looked really dried out.  Instead I chose a bread that I have never tried before.  It is very dense and super chewy. 

 

DSC03879 DSC03881

 

I topped a couple pieces with avocado and it was delicious.  Nothing like a typical yeast bread but still a winner.  I love anything earthy and hearty so this bread is perfect for my tastebuds.  The texture was palate pleasing as well.

 

     DSC03884 

Today my honey has the day off so I am hoping that we can venture out for a day of family fun. I started my day bright and early with a 6 mile run followed by a 1.6 mile walk.  I actually really love to walk after my runs. It cools me down and stretches my legs.  Plus it was so refreshing outside this morning that I just could not get enough of the fresh air.  It was another chilly morning but oh so enjoyable. 

I made myself a bowl of Cinnamon Strawberry Oats for breakfast.  The typical stovetop method works the best for fluffy and creamy oatmeal. 

 

DSC03899

 

Time to go see what my guys are up to – I bet they are playing video games.  I hope you have a great Friday. 

4 comments:

MelissaNibbles said...

Your bread came out beautiful.

Enjoy the day with your family. It looks like we're going to have some great weather before Danny hits us with rain!

Anna said...

Fresh baked bread hot out of the oven is the BEST! Enjoy :)

HangryPants said...

The bread looks perfect!!! I need to borrow my mom's kitchen aid and bake some bread again!!!

polly said...

I loooove catching up on your blog and love all the yummies, honey!! You are a BAKER!! :)

So fun to chat with you. Hugs from chilly Indiana. Come over and let's make soup and bring your bread. I'll cut us up some apples to dip in Almond butter while we chat, okay?

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOOXOXO Pols