Monday, August 10, 2009

Carrot Cupcakes

This morning Jenna’s savory oats looked so delicious that I just had to make a batch for dinner tonight.  Yes I ate oatmeal twice today.  Honestly, sometimes I have oats 3 times in a day.  I stopped eating a lot of processed products like bars and rice cakes and have opted for the cleaner grains like oatmeal and oat bran. 

I added shredded veggies (red pepper, bell pepper, zucchini & summer squash) to the oatmeal which ended up cooking down nicely but not becoming a pile of mush.  I topped it off with a piece of swiss cheese, an egg and hot sauce.  It was quite divine.

 

DSC03426

So D has been requesting carrot cake – not sure why, he has not even had it before.  Yesterday I made a batch of jumbo carrot cupcakes using Ellie Krieger’s recipe.  Today I frosted them, with his help of course.  He really likes the cream cheese frosting but has yet to eat the cake.  Little bugger keeps telling me “tomorrow night mommy, I will eat one tomorrow”.  I think he thought that there would not be real carrots inside cake – oops, I shouldn’t have told him. 

 

 

DSC03428

Well Charlie likes them so at least I know that they are not bogus. He really likes the frosting too.  Next time I should just make them a big bowl of cream cheese frosting. 

 

cupcake

Time for this mommy to hit the hay. I hope you had a great day.  See you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I've noticed you aren't eating as many bars lately. I've been doing the same thing--trying to decrease the amount of processed foods I eat. I still have a few left, so I'll save them for when I need a snack that travels well. I've also moved away from Clif type bars, and more into Larabar-type bars so at least the ingredient list is as pure as possible.

Your savory oats look delicious . . . it's just so hard to move away from cinnamon, banana, blueberries and nut butter! It's my favorite meal of the day! :)

Love your blog. Thanks!
Michelle

Shannon (The Daily Balance) said...

cupcakes look and sound amazing!!

love the savory oats! I've been meaning to try that again - always so focused on fruit and nut mix-ins!