Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Carrot Cake Cheesecake

Happy Wednesday!! I have been busy in my kitchen this afternoon. I was asked by one of Charlie’s coworkers to make a cheesecake. Not just any old cheesecake, a Carrot Cake Cheesecake.  I searched the web and stumbled upon this recipe.  Immediately I knew that it fit the bill.

I got to work making both of the batters and assembling the beauty.  I baked it for 50 minutes and then turned the oven off and let the cheesecake cool in the oven for an hour with the door slightly ajar.  This was not in the instructions but I know from past cheesecake baking, it results in less splitting on the top. 

This is the cake before the pineapple cream cheese frosting.

 

DSC03448

And here is the finished product.  Looks good!!!!  I wish that I could show you a photo of it sliced but I do not want to send a cheesecake to work with Charlie with a piece cut out.  Maybe he can try and get a photo of it tomorrow when they cut into it?

 

DSC03465

 

Do any of you have this particular kitchen gadget hanging around in your cupboard and never use it?  I am not a steamed veggie lover – I prefer oven roasted or pan fried in a nonstick skillet myself.  So what do I do with this thing you might ask? 

 

DSC03452

I roast peppers.  It is a tip that I picked up from Alton Brown from the food network.  That guy is full of great ideas.

Start buy placing the metal basket over the open flame – a gas stove is a must for this trick. Then put the peppers on the basket. It is really that simple.

 

DSC03456

I let the skin burn on the the peppers. I rotate them often as to get an even burnt color all over the entire pepper.

 

DSC03457

DSC03459

Once the skin is charred on all sides, I place the peppers in a brown paper sack, fold the top down and let rest for 10 minutes.  You can also place them in a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap. 

 

DSC03460

Once the 10 minutes is up, I peel the blackened skin off with a little help from running water.

 

DSC03461

For dinner I had 1/2 of the red pepper and 1/2 of the green pepper along with cooked summer squash and zucchini. I simply cooked the squash on the stovetop in a nonstick pan.  I also had a gluten free english muffin topped with swiss cheese.  It was a veggie-riffic dinner and super simple to prepare.

 

DSC03464

I can not have a post without a peek at my sweet tart? Here he is this afternoon playing on the computer.  It was so steamy in my kitchen that the poor thing was sweating.  I did not have the AC on because it was a bit on the cool side today.  Once I turn my oven on the house really heats up. 

 

comp 

This is his game face. He was really into whatever Nick.com game he was playing at the time.  Probably Spongebob.

 

comp2

That is all for tonight. I hope your day was lovely. I will see you tomorrow.

5 comments:

Pam (Highway to Health) said...

Wow that cheesecake looks amazing!

Linda said...

That cheesecake looks yum-O! A must try! And you dinner is making me hungry!
That's a great idea for roasting peppers, I'm gonna try that one!

Meghann said...

If you could bring a slice of that cheesecake to the summit that would be awesome. Thanks ;)

Charlie said...

The cheesecake kills, honey.

Michelle said...

Thanks for the tip on roasting peppers using a steamer. I have one of those that I never use anymore, and I love roasting peppers (I usually use my grill or just place it directly on the stove grates). I will definitely be trying this. Yum!