Monday, July 27, 2009

A Yucky Fig and a Yummy Yogurt

This afternoon I had to venture to the grocery store because I forgot a few things when I was there the other day. I spotted some yellow figs that were on sale and decided to try them out. 

 

DSC03166

I have only ever had dried black mission figs and I adore them. I love the sweet flavor of the flesh and the crunchy texture from the seeds. This was a first time trying a non-dried variety. Well this guy was not good at all. It was rather flavorless and the texture kind of bugged me too.  I attempted to like it but after eating half the rest went into the trash.  I did buy 2 so now I have one yucky fig still in my fridge and unfortunately Charlie is allergic to them.  At least I only spent a buck for them.

 

DSC03167 

I also spotted a new Stoneyfield yogurt flavor – Super Fruits.  I busted this bad boy open after trashing the fig – my mouth needed a better flavor.  This was delicious – not too sweet and very creamy. Now, I am glad, that I bought two of these. 

 

DSC03168

 

For dinner tonight I roasted a bunch of veggies – Vidalia Onion, red pepper, bell pepper and zucchini.  I spiced up the veg with turmeric, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper.  I let the veggies cool off before adding a scoop of cottage cheese and a dollop of hummus.

 

 

DSC03170

 

I also roasted a few zucchini wedges.  My Nana gave me a zucchini from her garden that looked like a small pumpkin.  She was trying her hand at growing round squash this summer.  I think she is having great luck – this was super.  I drizzled on a little Almond butter – YUM!!!!

 

DSC03169

 

For my guys tonight I made them a baked pasta dish.  I made it up so there really was no measuring.

 

DSC03173

All I did was cook a box of penne till it was al dente and then let it cool of for a few.  In a small bowl I combined 2 eggs, a 15 oz. container of part skim ricotta, salt, pepper, dried basil and dried oregano.  Once the pasta was cool (about room temp.), I started layering the pasta with the ricotta mix and shredded cheese.  I did spoon a layer of marinara sauce on the bottom of my casserole dish first.  I topped it with a layer of marinara sauce and more shredded cheese (this was a blend from Trader Joe’s).

 

DSC03174

I ended up with four layers. 

 

DSC03171

I tried to spoon it out and keep the layers together but it kind of fell apart.  D ate most of his and Charlie  enjoyed this portion.  It made a ton so they now have leftovers for the next few day.  I am hoping that this was not a one time only deal and D will not give me a hard time about eating it the next time I put a plateful in front of him – he does that a lot.

 

DSC03181

I made a fruit and yogurt jumble for dessert – vanilla yogurt, blueberries and a peach.  I added a few tablespoons of oat bran which thickens the yogurt and adds a yummy nutty flavor. 

 

DSC03178

So like I said this morning I have a few more Kennywood Park photos to share with you. 

D was obsessed with the Log Jammer ride. I got a good soaking the first time on it so I sat this one out. 

 

KW1

They got good and soggy after this ride.  D proceeded to ride it 2 more times with Grandpa.

 

KW2

After his bath D ate a good bit of funnel cake.  This one had strawberries, vanilla ice cream and whip cream on top.  It was the loaded up version. 

 

KW3

Daddy and D tried out the target shooting.

 

KW4

Mommy and D rode the Turtle.  I know this looks like a kiddie ride but it was not at all. It does not go that fast but it whips you across the seat when the ride goes over the humps.  I sat in the wrong spot and had to hold onto the handrail so that I would not crush D and the little boy next to him. 

 

KW5

D and I dared to ride the Bayern Kurve. The video is not of us but it shows you how fast this sucker is.  I swear I thought his neck was gonna snap. The ride seemed like it was never going to end and I really wanted it to. I know, I am such a panicky mommy.  He had fun and did not endure any injuries. 

 

KW6

D’s cousins also enjoyed the day at Kennywood. 

 

KW7

The little one was pooped by the end.   

 

KW8

It started to rain so we had to boogie out of the park around 7 -ish.  If it was not raining I guarantee we would have stayed until closing.  D and I now know why Daddy raves about this amusement park. We can’t wait to go back.  Next time, I am sure that D will be big enough to ride ALL the rides. 

There is still more PA trip highlights but that is all for tonight.  See you tomorrow.

3 comments:

AzLinda said...

Looks like a great time!

Your pasta dish....Mmmmmm!!

Olivia said...

Whoever those kids in the bottom two pictures are, they are just adorable! ;-)

Hey - the boys and I had a great time swimming with you and D today. We'll have to do that again while it's actually hot! :)

Sammie said...

Olivia,
I know aren't they sweet :)

We had a great time too. It is nice to get the kiddies together. Feel free to give us a call next time you plan on heading over.