Friday, July 10, 2009

Try to keep it together

Good morning.  I am really trying to keep myself from freaking out.  The thought of D getting anesthesia is driving me nuts.  Yesterday went from bad to worse but then things turned around and we ended on a good note.  Here is the thing, my child can hold onto his poop and not let go if he thinks that he is going to have a loose movement.  Well that is what he was doing the past 2 days.  After 3 doses of Milk of Magnesia, the little monkey still had not taken a poo.  He was doing the poo-poo dance all around the house but just kept fighting it.  I called the doctor and was advised to give him a laxative suppository.  Oh that went over well.  It did, in fact, work and then the rest of the day went well.  He hates lime Jell-O even though it was his flavor of choice.  I did manage to get him to eat a little of it and one whole Italian Ice.  Other than that it was liquids ALL day. I have now starved my child more times this summer than we have seen the sun.  After his procedures today he has requested a bagel with cream cheese. I am going to find him the biggest most delicious bagel I can while we are in Boston today. 

I am keeping my composure so that he does not get nervous – he is actually ok with the whole thing. Yes, he knows exactly what is happening today – the scope down his throat, up his bum all while he is asleep.  I was not going to tell him, I mean he is only 4 and I thought that he might be scared.  Well he kept asking about it and Charlie spilled the beans the other night while I was at Target.  I am very proud of him for being so brave.  Mommy on the other hand – no so brave.  When it comes to my little sweet tart I just want to hold and keep him safe.  I have to trust these doctors to take care of him today.  That is kind of tough for me as I am do not trust that easily. 

It was not so long ago when D was just a little itty peanut and I did hold him all day.

This is my absolute favorite photo of us. 

HPIM0304

So I have been up for quite a while, ventured out for a 6.5 mile run and now just needing to do a little venting – thanks for listening. 

On a foodie note, I made some yummy rice wrappers last night for dinner.  These things are so easy to make.  I filled the rice wrappers with red pepper, zucchini, lettuce and avocado.  I ate 3 for dinner and saved three for today. 

 

DSC02839

Inside shot – simple ingredients but oh so delicious. 

 

DSC02842

I also ate a salad with my 3 rolls.  It contained lettuce, red pepper, zucchini, cottage cheese and a PB2 drizzle.

 

DSC02841

I supposed I should hop in the shower and try to eat some breakfast.  My guys are still sound asleep – D is actually still in his own bed.  That is a rare happening – he really must be whipped out.  I will fill you in on the details from the tests later.  I hope you have a great Friday. 

12 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

I've been praying hard for D and will continue to do so - stay strong.

That photo of you two is absolutely beautiful.

Erica said...

I'm sure all will go just perfectly today. I will be thinking of you! Deep breaths!!

Sammie said...

Thank you! You ALL are such an amazing support group for this Mommy.

allijag said...

Oh Sammie!

All of you are in my prayers today! D is such a brave little trooper, I know he is going to kick butt!

All these sorts of things are always harder on the momma (I got my gallbladder removed last year at 26!!!, and it was more nerve racking on my mom and MIL than me!) Deep breaths my dear, it will all turn out find, and when D wakes up, his awesome Mommy and Daddy will be right there to comfort him!! (((hugs!!!)))

Sheri said...

I know what you are going through! My little guy also had to have anesthesia and I was a wreck! My husband was the rock..thank goodness. But in the end everything was fine and he did great! I am sure D will too!

I LOVE the photo of you two...so sweet! :)

Meredith said...

I'll be thinking of you guys today! I am a medical student and I just finished a rotation in GI pediatrics so I saw a lot of kids go through exactly this. And like most people have said, it seems to be a lot tougher on the parents than the little ones! Most of them wake up and immediately ask for the food they have been thinking of the past few days :)

K from ksgoodeats said...

Stay strong!! I'll be thinking of you guys today :)

polly said...

praying!!! love you guys, Sammie!

Did you call me today? I saw a restricted # on my missed calls. I was running around like a chicken all day, but sad when I saw I might have missed you.


Love and extra hugs,
pol

Shannon (The Daily Balance) said...

Thinking of you today!! In my prayers... ;)

Amy@ What Do I Eat Now? said...

love the picture.. lil tiny babies are sooo sweet.. im sending good thoughts your way about the procedure, i hope everything went well and D recovers well- its always SO awful when your little baby isnt doing well and has to get poked and prodded..poor little guy

THE ACTORS DIET said...

hope all turns out okay...stay strong!

*Erica* said...

Praying for your little guy... I hope the tests went well. Hang in there! Love the pic!