Friday, July 24, 2009

The Roethlisburger and Vintage Car Races

Welcome to PA Trip Recap #2.

On Saturday we headed to a part of Pittsburgh referred to as The Strip.  Charlie was on a mission for some good eats and I was hoping to score some fresh produce (I ate lunch before we left). 

D ended up falling asleep on the drive over to The Strip – he was still making up for all the late nights – he parties hard. 

strip1

 

Charlie had some recommendations from his Uncle and settled on a place called Peppi’s Old Tyme Sandwich Shop where he could tackle their famous Roethlisburger sandwich (named after the Steelers Quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger).

 

strip2 

D opted for a BLT but was ultimately only after the B and refused to eat the L & T – typical veggies hater that he is. 

 

strip3

Charlie attacked his sandwich like a champ – it did not stand a chance. He finished the WHOLE thing. 

 

strip4

After my guys filled their bellies, we walked around for a bit and moseyed into a few shops.

I did score some really yummy apples that were a bargain and D got himself yet another sword.  He wanted to be one of the Ninja Turtles. 

 

strip5 

We made sure to tell him that waving that at people was a definite no no.

 

strip6

 

We ended up leaving The Strip to head to Schenley Park for the Pittsburg Vintage Grand Prix. How lucky were we that it just so happened to be going on the weekend we were in town?

We checked out a bunch of cars that were just part of the show (not racing).  Charlie was drooling over a bunch of the sports cars.

 

race1

 

I was drooling over the antiques.

 

race2

I LOVE old autos.

 

race4

There were really cool vehicles on display to check out.

 

race5

race3

After walking through the car show we went to watch the racers.

 

race6

It was very amusing. We had a blast watching all the old cars (in mint condition I might add) speed by.

 

race7

race8

race9

race10 race11

race12

race13

race14 

It was beautiful outside and we took full advantage of the lovely day.  It was a great start to our vacation.

More vacation details to come - I have plenty more fun things to share with you all. 

6 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Gorgeous cars and fun times!!

Erik said...

That's totally Speed Racer!

Lily said...

Hey Sammie! You and D look SO NICE all dressed to the nines at the wedding.

Did you eat the food at the wedding? I know you usually pack food when you don't eat at home, but I can't imagine packing food for a wedding reception. I'm really curious!

polly said...

i love old cars! My grandpa had a couple... miss him and those memories!!

GO CHARLIE!! I had to show Dan the burger and we are super impressed with you burger eating ability.

Sammie, I think both of our men can eat a horse. :) Or I should say a COW. heehee


XOXO



tomorrow we are off to the 4-H fair! I am guessing there will be porkchops involved. :)

Sammie said...

Lily,
Charlie's Aunt was so sweet and had sushi brought in for me. I was actually not the only person at the reception with dietary restrictions so she was very sensitive to my eating habits. It was maki rolls with tuna, salmon and avocado. The rolls were made with brown and white rice. I ate most of what she had provided for me - it was nice to not have to break out my travel cooler.

Anonymous said...

I am the kind of hombre who enjoys to try unprecedented stuff. Right now I am fabricating my personalized pv panels. I'm managing it all by myself without the aid of my staff. I'm using the internet as the only path to acheive that. I came across a truly amazing website that explains how to contruct solar panels and wind generators. The site explains all the steps required to photovoltaic panel building.

I'm not really sure bout how accurate the data given there is. If some people over here who had experience with these things can have a look and give your feedback in the page it will be great and I'd really value it, because I truly like solar panel construction.

Tnx for reading this. U people rock.