Thursday, June 18, 2009

Skunk in the Air

Last night we put a window fan in our bedroom window to let some of the cool evening air into the room.  Well at some point Mr. Skunk happened to be in our neighborhood and the air reeked of his nasty cologne. The smell filled my entire house too.

Early this morning I ventured out for a run and wished that I had a mask on to shield me from having to breathe in such a strong odor.  I think it was attack of the skunks last night – every neighborhood I ran through had been tainted.    I did my 6.5 mile loop and then came inside for some weights.  I did 3 sets of each exercise - Chest Fly, Elbow Out Extension, Skull Crushers, Plank Row, Bicycle Crunches and Reverse Crunch. 

My oatmeal was super yummy and filling.  I made the same mixture as I did yesterday – I am such a repeat offender.  I did add a touch of cinnamon to the top – now that is a beautiful bowl of creamy delight. 

 

DSC02218 

Thank you all for the well wishes for D. You have no idea how much your kindness means to me.  

While we were at the hospital the other night, I said to Charlie – Did you ever think that you could love someone so much? I can not even express with words the love that I feel for D.  My heart literally aches when I see him in pain and my heart is warm when he hugs me.  These little creatures have such control of our emotions it is not even funny – all you mamas (and dads) know what I mean.

I think that he is feeling a little better today. When he woke up he was a little hungry and did manage to have a few bites of waffle.  He ended up going back to up to his room while I was eating my breakfast. I went up to check on him, only to find him fast asleep under his blanket.

 

getwell

He is awake now and just drank some hot cocoa which I made with Coconut Milk.  I am sure that his little system needs some time to heal so little meals every few hours is what I am aiming for. 

I wanted to share a recipe that I concocted yesterday. It is a work in progress but still pretty good. I tried making POM Coconut Ice Cream.  I used I cup of POM juice, 1 cup Unsweetened Coconut Milk and 1/4 cup Agave.  I churned it in my ice cream machine for about 25 minutes and then put it in the freezer for a few hours. It tastes good but it is a little on the icy side. I am going to tweak the recipe a bit – maybe 1 1/2 cups Coconut milk & 1/2 a cup POM juice.  I might even try to reduce the POM juice to a syrup and drizzle it in after the ice cream has churned, resulting in a POM swirl throughout.  I need to do some more research on using Coconut Milk in an ice cream recipe. I was hoping that the fat content would help keep the ice cream creamy.  It is always fun to play around in the kitchen so I am looking forward to the experimenting.

 

DSC02213

Today I am getting my haircut and I am so looking forward to a little pampering. I really like when she washes my hair. My hairdresser usually gives me a head massage - definitely something that I need right now.  Hopefully my sidekick is feeling up to venturing out of the house. At least they have a great lounge area for him to relax in while I am getting all beautified. 

I hope you have a great day. I can’t believe it is already Thursday. Where did the week go?

4 comments:

polly said...

hi sweetie!!!


Lovely morning of skunk! ;)


Stop by today and tell me what you're thankful for. I bet I can guess this week. XOXO

Melissa @ For the Love of Health said...

Awwww poor little guy! I hope he feels better! I understand the love you are talking about. I don't have children but I feel that love for my family.

the skunk scent is soooooo awful! my dog was once sprayed by one! It was horrendous!!

If you get a moment, I am having a great giveaway if you're interested :-)

Mariposa said...

awwwww- poor little D!!!!! : ( its so sad isnt it?? i hope he feels better today

POM ice cream- try mixing in some powdered sugar too- it ups the sugar in it over all obviously but will make it a little more "ice cream" like!

K from ksgoodeats said...

Ew one of my dogs got sprayed by a skunk when I was in middle school and it was HORRID! I smelled like skunk at school!

Aw poor D :( I hope he feels better! Sending get well wishes!!