Wednesday, June 24, 2009

On the Verge of a Freak Out

Yes, that is right I am seriously on the verge at the moment.  The doctor called and said that the blood tests from Monday show inflammation.  What does that mean?  He needs to do an Endoscopy and a Colonoscopy to see what exactly is inflamed. It could be an infection causing the inflammation or it could be an inflammatory bowl disease.  The thought of D having to go through these tests is making me SICK!!!!  I just want him to go back to being a normal little kid.  Tomorrow we have to be at the hospital at 7:15 for the Lactose Breath test which last 3 hours.  He can’t eat past midnight so when he wakes up in the morning he is not going to be happy that he can’t eat breakfast. Thankfully Charlie is able to take time off of work so we can all be together while D goes through the test.  Keeping him occupied in the hospital is going to be a challenge never mind the fact that he is going to be starving.

Ok onto the eats.  I am glad that I got in some food this afternoon before the doctor called because after he called I was so sick to my stomach I had no appetite at all. 

Here is the lunch I was telling you about this morning.  I roasted a beet, turnips and eggplant in the oven until all the veg was tender but not mushy.  I mixed some of the roasted veggies with chickpeas, curry powder and cinnamon.  It turned out delicious. 



I also ate an apple.




About an hour and a half later I ate this bar before we headed to the grocery store.



I worked up some serious hunger while shopping.  Once I put all my groceries away I fixed myself quite a buffet - 2 rice cakes, jelly, a nectarine, fresh blueberries and yogurt spiced with cinnamon.



DSC02315 DSC02317


Then I got the doctor’s call and really did not feel like eating. I let D play on the computer – he was thrilled – so that I could release some stress by cooking.  It works like a charm, if only the feeling lasted.   

I made stuffed shells for Charlie and to my surprise D ended up eating two.  The filling has sausage in it so he picked that out and ate the rest.  He LOVED them and so did Charlie.




I did not use a recipe, I just basically winged it the whole time.  I am glad that my guys had a yummy dinner.




I had to force myself to eat so I opted to try out some okra tonight.  I have been wanting to try it and found some really nice fresh pieces at the Indian Market on Monday.  All I did was cook the okra on the stove in a nonstick pan sprayed with olive oil. Once the okra was soft I added a small tomato and let that cook for about 2 minutes.  I then added cumin and cinnamon to the pan and mixed to distribute the seasoning evenly.  I also had a sweet potato with organic ketchup and a Sunshine Burger topped with a dollop of hummus.

My dinner turned out mighty tasty and I am glad that I tried the okra.  This was most definitely a veggie-riffic day. 



I need to go get my little man in the shower and try to get him to have snack before it is too late.  I hope you had great day.


polly said...

praying, praying, praying, sweet friend!! Love you, Sammie. You know I am only a phone call away, okay? Massive hugs. D will be perfectly wonderful. Whatever God hands you, you and Charlie are rock solid and can handle it. Promise. D is a tuff little dude, too. XOXO Pol

Erica said...

oh my goodness- I'm so sorry :( Poor little pumpkin...hope things go ok tomorrow

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) said...

Oh Sammie, I just said a major prayer for you guys. At least you will get an answer and you know that all your worrying wasn't over nothing.

You are a fabulous Mom and you will handle this no prob!!!

Much love Mama Sister.

K from ksgoodeats said...

I'm so so sorry to hear this!! I hope everything goes alright and you guys get some answers when it's all said and done :(

My thoughts are with you three!!

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

Oh Sammie,
I am so so sorry my friend. I hope everything went okay today. Sending good thoughts, prayers, and a hug from Nashville - to you, Charlie, and Little D.