Monday, June 22, 2009

Let the Testing Begin

D’s appointment went pretty well today even though he had to endure another needle – yup, the doctor wanted more blood.  The poor thing kept asking us all morning if there would be a blood test and we really had no idea.  Good thing we kept saying we did not know – we don’t want to look like a liars.  The doctor was really a nice guy and his bedside manner was fabulous which made D feel a lot more comfy.  He does not have a definite answer as of yet but he seems to think that it might be some sort of viral infection that is lingering in his intestines.  He does not want to rule out any gastrointestinal disorders like Crohn’s Disease or Colitis (my Grampy has Colitis), that is why he ordered some more blood work & other tests. D is going to have an upper GI Series also called Barium Swallow – ugh!  I had to have that done and it is not fun. He is also going to have a Lactose Breath Test which we already have the appointment for on Thursday.  We have to be at the hospital at 7:15 AM – that is way too early for my guys.  I am just glad that none of the tests are invasive – that makes me cringe at the thought of my baby having to go through something like that.  So we now just have to get through the testing and see what he finds or does not find. 

After the appointment we went to Whole Foods for lunch.  I left my camera at home.  I was not even thinking about taking pictures this morning so please forgive me.  I had a salad that contained lettuce, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, peas, zucchini, summer squash, red & yellow pepper and the most amazing warm Indian chic pea concoction.  I am on a mission to recreate it.  The Whole Foods that we stopped at had a hot food bar which is something that the WF near my house does not.  I so wish that they did because I could easily gobble this chic pea dish up any day of the week.  Charlie was thrilled that they had a build your own burrito bar, that was just what he was craving. The doctor said that D can resume a normal diet just go easy and try to avoid too much diary – it can be hard to digest if there is an infection going on.  For lunch he chose a ham & cheese sandwich on a croissant but really only ate the buttery and flakey bread.  He has always been a bread man.  With my salad I also had some fruit and a Chobani Honey flavored yogurt. 

Since I am on a mission to recreate the chic pea dish I made my guys venture to an Indian market this afternoon.

Patel Brothers is a huge store that is filled with all kinds of wonderful spices, condiments, beans, rice, oils, quick fix meals, diary products, frozen foods and even a great produce isle.  I could have spent way more time browsing but my time was limited with my sidekick in tow. 

 

DSC02279 

 

On the way home I snacked on an apple.

This afternoon I also had yogurt with cinnamon and 2 rice cakes with preserves.

 

 

DSC02278

 

Dinner was a quickie salad - red pepper, yellow squash, zucchini, cauliflower, hummus and cottage cheese.

 

 

DSC02280

 

I also had 2 pieces of gluten free bread with preserves.  I am totally in love with the blueberry one.  The other flavor is Raspberry Apricot – it isn’t too shabby either.  If you are a jam lover you must try Bonne Maman – it is so delicious. 

 

 

DSC02281

 

As if that was not sweet enough, I still went ahead and made a little yogurt, fruit and PB2 dessert.

 

 

DSC02284

I chatted with my mom for a little while this evening and filled her in on the happenings of the day.  I can seriously stay on the phone with my mom for hours and it never run out of things to talk about. 

The generous hunk, Jay Robb, is offering all you lovelies 15% off of all his products until July 7th.  When ordering (online or by phone), the discount code you need to enter is BLOGJ9RWR.  I love the Rice Protein, it blows away any other protein powder that I have ever tried. 

JRE15CPN-BLOGJ9RWR-062209

It is definitely time to call it a day.  See you tomorrow.

1 comment:

VeggieGirl said...

I'm praying HARD that D does not end up having Crohn's Disease - I know firsthand how difficult that is to live with :-(