Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Roasted Veggies

Today we really did have beautiful weather. D and I tool advantage of the sunny day and went to the park. Before we left I made sure to have a snack so that I was not ravenous when I got home. Making dinner while you are ready to keel over from hunger is not a good thing.  I had plain greek yogurt, an apple, Nature’s Path Corn Puffs and a drizzle of Sunbutter.

 

DSC01436

 

D had a lot of fun at the park and it was so nice being outside in the warm sunshine. 

For dinner I made a big batch of roasted veggies and they were soooooo good. In the mix was a baby eggplant (it was smaller than my hand), red pepper, zucchini and mushrooms. I seasoned the veg with cumin, coriander, cardamom, turmeric, chili powder, salt and olive oil. I roasted them in a 400 degree oven until all the vegetables were soft.  I had an Organic Chicken sausage and a gluten free tortilla too. 

 

DSC01437

 

Dessert was very similar to my afternoon snack – I was in a yogurt & Sunbutter mood. I topped some Corn Puffs with plain greek yogurt, a drizzle of Sunbutter and a blob of TJ’s Blackberry Preserves.  

 

DSC01449

D had a good gluten free day.  I was able to get him to eat brown rice pasta for dinner and a banana.  He loves pasta so I thought that the change might be difficult for him.  Lunch was a little more challenging – he was being picky.  He ended up having vanilla yogurt with honey, strawberries, Snikiddy’s, and 2 Enjoy Life Soft baked Chewy Chocolate Chip cookies.  At least I sent him to bed with a full tummy and free of any aches. 

I hope you all had a great day.  I am off to relax.  See you tomorrow after our babysitting shift.

6 comments:

polly said...

yay for gluten free days, honey! I love your library story about making friends. xoxo


I have those corn puffs in my house... need to try them ASAP!

Becky@I Heart Running & Food said...

Yum...your snacks always look so healthy and filling! Normally I can't just have plain greek yogurt (stimulates the gag reflex b/c of texture) but maybe if I had some crunch in there like yours! I love the roasted veggies and chx sausage idea...chx sausage can really go with so many different things if its the right flavor. Have a great night relaxing :)

Tanya said...

I love how you mixed everything together in a fun nutritious way. Loving wraps now - must try adding grilling veggies too.

Melissa said...

Can you give us your review of the Nature's Path Corn Puffs? I eat their millet and kamut puffs (I know they are not gluten free so no good for you...sorry) but I grew up with corn pops and was wondering how they are?
THANKS!

Sammie said...

Melissa,
NP Corn Puffs are nothing like Corn Pops. They are not sweetened and have a very natural corn flavor. The texture reminds me of a rice cake but not as airy. I really like them for a little crunch to my yogurt. I am always looking for snack options that are not loaded with sugar and this cereal is definitely a good option.Let me know if you try them out and what you think of them.

Melissa said...

Thanks for the review. I'll pick some up tomorrow and let you know what concoction I come up with to make them more "interesting" :)