Monday, May 25, 2009

Our Memorial Day

We had a great family day on the Cape.  We started out at the Veterans National Cemetery.

 

cem2

The grounds were appropriately decorated for Memorial Day.

 

flags

 

flag

There were actually tons of visitors at the cemetery today.  You can see all the flowers that were left for their loved ones.

 

cem1

The reason for our visit was to pay our respects to our Pop.  He was one of a kind.  This was the first time that I have been to see his site since the funeral – it was a very emotional moment when I saw his name on the grave stone.  We lost him due to doctors malpractice and I still get angry when I think of what my grandfather went through.

 

pop1

This was D’s first time there as well.  I know he doesn’t fully understand but he knew that I was sad.  He says that he remembers Pop and the he was a funny guy – that he was.  I hope that he is able to hold on to the memories that he has – Pop loved ALL his grandkids & great-grandkids. 

 

pop2

Then it was off to the beach so the kiddies could get their feet wet.

 

beach6

They actually ended up getting more than just their feet wet. 

 

beach5

 

I tested the water on my feet and it was FREEZING. I have no idea how they could stand it.

 

 cold

D got soaked but had a pretty amazing time doing so.

 

beach4

My niece enjoyed the sand.

 

beach7

She is my sweetie pie.  I had just turned 21 when she was born and I was beyond excited to become an Auntie.  I spent so much time with her when she was a wee one – I can’t believe how quickly the time has passed. She is going to be 10 this year.

 

 beach8

Here is my sis and her husband.  They are the cutest couple on the planet – at least I think so.

 

beach3 

Well it might be a toss up between this couple :)

 

beach2 

It was an amazing day to be at the beach.  The weather was absolutely perfect.

I didn’t take too many food pictures today but I did of course eat.  I packed a salad for lunch along with a Cherry Pie Larabar.  I ended up snacking on an apple and a Nature’s Promise Peanut Butter bar on the way home. 

Once we got home I made quick dinners for me and my guys. I had more veggies – of course.  In the bowl I had lettuce, tomato and homemade hummus.  I also had a Sunshine Veggie Burger on a gluten free roll with Organic ketchup, mustard and tomato.  On the side I had some 365  brand veggie chips for some crispy crunchers.

 

DSC01608 DSC01607

 

After dinner we took Otto for a nice walk since he was cooped up in the house by himself today. I am pretty sure he is curled up under a blanket sleeping right now. A nice evening walk always does him some good.

I hope that you guys had a great day.  I am off to see where my hubby is – I think that he might be in the same place as Otto. 

Good night.

2 comments:

polly said...

oh Sammie what beautiful pictures!! Love that you honored your pop. You have a gorgeous family. Your heart always shows through your posts, my friend.

Love the brrr pic in the ocean. How come kiddos never seem to get cold? :)

XOXO

Tanya said...

Ooh the water park where I was was a little cool but I would much prefer to be by the ocean. Happy Memorial Day.