Thursday, May 7, 2009

A New Oaty Combo and a Bar Review

Happy Thursday blogland!  Is it me or is this week flying by?  I am ready for the weekend – we have 2 reasons to celebrate (more on that as the day arrives). 

Last night was a bit rough at the homestead.  D had a tummy ache and was not feeling well at all. I held him until he fell asleep and then slipped him into my bed so that he would get a good nights rest.  Unfortunately I do not think he did. He was up twice complaining of cramps in his feet – he must be growing.  At 4 AM I got out of bed – I wasn’t sleeping anyways.  He managed to go back to sleep for a few hours and I went to the gym.  The rain is still falling so it was a treadmill run this morning. I did a 5 mile run then a 30 minute walking Hill Climb on the treadmill.  I followed the cardio with a few weights and lots of stretches and foam rolling. 

This morning I came up with a new oaty combo. I ate a banana and a 1/2 tbsp PB before the gym so I couldn’t use that combo again – even though it is my favorite. 

I went for a sweet savory flavor.

DSC01164

 

I cooked up a batch of stovetop oats and then added lots of cinnamon and pumpkin.

 

DSC01165

 

I topped it off with 2 Wellshire Farms Chicken Apple Breakfast Sausages.

These sausages are really yummy. I love that they do not have a casting and look at the plethora of apple chunks that are in these guys.  They are gluten and soy free too – great Whole Foods find.

 

DSC01163 

Review Time

Yesterday I packed a GoRaw Banana “Bread” Flax Bar as my afternoon snack. 

Here is how they describe the bar on their website:

For those who love banana bread. Just as tasty but without the sugar, flour or oil and it's totally raw! Loaded with flax, it's great for regularity and high in Omega 3's

DSC01162

It really did taste just like a piece of banana bread.  The consistency was way different – it is very chewy and crunchy.  I do love banana bread but unfortunately traditional banana bread does not love me. I have yet to try a gluten free recipe so I am really loving the Banana Bread Larabars and now I can turn to this sweet gem.

The ingredient list is simple – Sprouted Organic Flax Seeds, Organic Banana, Organic Coconut and Organic Date.  All things that I do not seem to have a problem with (lets hope it stays that way).  I really only eat flax in small amounts because I have noticed that they CAN cause a little havoc as my body tries to digest.  This bar did contain more than I would normally eat but I really wanted to try it out.  It didn’t seem to bother me – yay!!!

The nutritional facts look good.  I like that it is not too calorie dense but does contain some fat, fiber and protein.  I think it was a little too small a snack for me – it did not last as long as I hoped.  I think that I am someone that needs a little more protein in my afternoon snack.

 

58_nutirtion_nutrition_banana

 

So for all you lovelies dabbling in the Raw Food Diet these days – I would give this bar a try.  Unless you have a dehydrator – then you could whip up your own like this creative sister. She makes me really wish that I had one – hint, hint Hubby :)

I hope you all have a great day.

*Don’t forget to enter the Erewhon Cereal contest

7 comments:

Rose said...

That looks delicious!

K from ksgoodeats said...

That bar sounds fantastic!! Thanks for the review!

2 reasons to celebrate? I can't wait to find out what they are!! Hope D feels better!

polly said...

hi sweetie!
I want to try those sausages. I love that they have no casing, those gross me out! I love your bowls always. Also, that D is growing... so amazing how fast they do. The foot cramps are not fun, tho. hugs hugs hugs to mommy and D.

Melissa @ For the Love of Health said...

Breakfast looks amazing!

Good bar review! I love banana bread so I am definitely going to have to try that one!

ttfn300 said...

Hey Sammie! Sorry it's taken me so long to get over here, crazy week at work. It was so nice to meet you! And both of the men in your life :)

those fresh frozen herbs can be found at Shaws, A&P, Stop and Shop, and Giant food. there's also information on their site about requesting them at your local store!

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

Sammie,
I totally want an Excalibur Dehydrator! I have a cheap one, and I never even use it. Usually just use the oven with the door propped open. I've been dropping hints like crazy to my hubby without much luck. Oh well, there is always Christmas. :)

LOVED your savory oat combo. I'm totally making that soon. Brilliant!

FoodsThatFit said...

I saw those same bars at the store the other day and thought of you! I bet there would be a way to duplicate the recipe...I will have to try that one of these days. It would be a lot cheaper making it yourself probably too!!