Friday, April 17, 2009

Soak and Blend

Happy Friday!!!  Today we are supposed to see high 60’s here in MA – hooray!!!!  Hopefully D and I can get some time outside today after I clean.  Maybe a family walk after dinner is in order too. 

I did a nice 7.5 mile run on the beloved pavement this morning – I was not in the mood for the treadmill.  I did a bunch of Foam Rolling before heading out – it is actually feeling less painful. I did do some stretching when I returned – my muscles are really appreciating all this love. 

I ventured into the land of blended oats this morning.  I bought Steel Cut oats at Whole Foods and decided to try something new. 

I soaked the oats in water overnight. 

DSC00625

Into the Vita-Mix they went. I did add a teeny bit more water while whipping this up – it was sooooooo thick

 

DSC00626

Holy Toledo!!!!  This stuff was so sticky that I had to scrape it out of the Vita-Mix. It was so delicious, I was not about to waste a drop or a glob for that matter.

 

DSC00628

I left the blended oats in their unseasoned state – they tasted perfect to me that way.  I did top it with a sliced banana which added texture and a little bit of sweetness. 

 

DSC00629 DSC00630

So this was a whopper bowl of deliciousness.  I can’t see myself doing this everyday – it made more dishes for Mommy to wash than normal. I will make it again seeing as I love the fact that it felt like I was eating a thick custard for breakfast.  Charlie took a bite – without banana – he is not a fan.  I like the natural flavor of oatmeal and I think he would rather have his sweetened with honey, maple syrup or brown sugar. I guess I am just so used to the natural flavor that the additional sweeteners taste too strong to me.  If you are in the mood for something different go blend up a batch of soaked oats – you will be surprised at how thick & creamy it is.

Time to pack up my cleaning gear and head to my sister-in-law’s house.  D’s Grandpa will be waiting for us with his usual load from Dunkin Donuts.  This is their little bonding ritual – chowing on donuts.  I actually don’t mind because D really does not eat donuts that often. 

I hope you have a great day.  See you later. 

4 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Enjoy the sunshine and your day at the in-law's!!

Haleigh said...

Interesting oats!

Charlie said...

Yes, the oats tasted a bit too bland for me. Honey or syrup would definitely improve it. Even better would be replacing it completely with steak and huevos rancheros!

K from ksgoodeats said...

Interesting experiment!! Hope D had fun at DD AND hope you guys got some sun :)