Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Road Looks like a River

Something is going on in my neighborhood this morning – our road looks like a river.  It was not like this when I arrived home from the gym, already the water is about 3 inches deep.  Thankfully we do not have issues with flooding in our basement – that would not be a good way to start the day. 

 

DSC00551 

I was up and out the door at 5 AM this morning. Before I left I did a few Foam Roller stretches.  Honestly the thing is painful but in a good way. I can feel all the tension in my muscles being massaged. After years of neglect, I am really paying for it now. I really should have stretched more. 

At the gym I used one of the Elliptical machines - the type without moving handles. Instead of holding onto the side rails I pumped my arms like I was running. I was able to keep my heart rate up – it felt like a very challenging workout.  I got into a good groove and banged out a decent 60 minutes.  By the time I was finished I had a good sweat going on. I moved into the weight room and had a good session which incorporated some Shred inspired exercises.  Then it was time to be good to my muscles and do some Foam Roller massaging.  I love the hamstring and glute stretch. The IT Band move is the killer. My thighs and quads are so tight is not even funny. I am taking it slow and not doing to much too soon.  I can already feel less tension in my legs so I know that Foam Roller is going to make a huge difference for my muscles. 

For breakfast today I decided have the Rice Protein separate from my oatmeal.  I made a drink in the Vita-Mix with 1 cup Unsweetened Rice Milk, a tablespoon Rice Protein Powder and 1/4 a banana.  The little piece of banana really made a big difference in the taste.

 

DSC00544

I also had my usual hearty bowl of oatmeal.  I cooked 3/4 oats with water and lots of cinnamon.  I topped it with a drizzle of Chocolate PB2 sauce and the left over banana that I did not add to the Protein drink.

 

DSC00545 DSC00547

 

We are having our boiler serviced this morning and my house reeks of oil – yuck!!  And you all know how I am about my floors.  Well he keeps going in and out of the house and tracking gunk in every time. I just want to follow him around with my vacuum – but I won’t.  We never wear our shoes in the house so seeing him walking on my floors with dirty oily boots is killing me.  I just have to keep telling myself that I can clean everything when he leaves. 

I would like to take D to story hour but it all depends on when the guy is finished.  Other than that I am not sure what we are doing today.  I hope you have a wonderful day. See you later. 

6 comments:

K from ksgoodeats said...

Yucky oil!! Glad you're liking the foam roller! Hope the water recedes!

VeggieGirl said...

YIKES!! Hang in there!!

Hope D enjoys story hour more than last time, haha :-D

Mariposa said...

i love how nice it is outside today!! perfect for an outside activity- even if in your neighborhood you need a rowboat to get anywhere!!! lol good luck with the paddling!

Bridget said...

Whoa whats up with the water!? It hasn't rained since saturday right? Weird. Good thing you don't have basement issues...which is funny because I am house hunting right now and running into houses with water in the basement issues...uggh!

Loving the weather!

Lacey Nicole said...

Hi Sammie, so glad to hear the Foam Roller is working so well! I am going to invest in one as well and possibly also The Stick which almost all of my runner friends recommend and use. Where did you find your Foam Roller? I don't really want to order one online/wait would love to find it in a store...? Thanks!

Sammie said...

Lacey Nicole,
I bought it at Dick's Sporting Goods.