Friday, April 3, 2009

Now it’s in My Bowl

The day is almost over and I am really ready to kick up my feet and watch a little TV.  I have not watched TV all week and I think tonight is a good night for it.  I worked my little tail off today and then made a killer dinner (more on that in a sec).

This afternoon I had an apple and PB while skimming a new catalog that came in the mail.  Usually I love everything Anthropology offers but this month – meh! The style looks a little grungy.  Oh well, I can’t afford to buy their stuff anyway :)

DSC00115

Dinner tonight was OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!  That’s right I made something different – crazy me!!  I know that my food choices can get a bit repetitive (boring for you all but really doesn’t bother me), so as soon as I saw this recipe on Bites + Bowls, I had to make it. I followed her very thorough photo guide and whipped it up in no time.  Now I did have to make brown rice pasta for myself and regular for the hubs so that was kind of a pain. He said that he would be willing to try the brown rice pasta after the fact – of course (mommy had lots of dishes to wash this evening).  Instead of tossing the pasta in with the sauce I added the sauce to the pots of drained pasta.  After all the ingredients were well married I put it into individual dishes and baked in the oven. 

DSC00119 DSC00122
DSC00123 DSC00125

I did make a couple changes. I am not a garlic fan so I left out that step and I topped the pasta with shredded cheese before going into the oven instead of adding it to the sauce.  I used a mixed blend of cheese instead of parmesan and I think that it totally worked.  Charlie enjoyed his portion which was made with Gemeli pasta.  I really loved this recipe even though I am not a huge pasta fan – the sauce is killer.  The brown rice pasta was good but not as sturdy as whole wheat pasta which is what I would have opted before I started eating gluten free.  I could seriously eat the sauce on its own.  I am definitely going to make this again – I still have 3/4 a block of cream cheese and the jarred sauce.  I used the same type as Miss B+B – thankfully it was soy free. 

Now that is a beautiful dinner. Thanks so much Kelsey for posting an amazing recipe.  It was so simple and I was able to make it gluten free.  

DSC00131

I had a little sweet treat after dinner – figgies, dried unsweetened cherries, apricots, roasted/unsalted peanuts & almonds.  I really am enjoying these little samplers as dessert.  Fun to eat with my hands and contains lots of natural sweetness. 

 

DSC00135

I have no big plans for this evening. I am an old lady mommy who has been awake since 4 AM.  I think that the veg out time will begin soon. I hope you have a great night.  If you haven’t made dinner yet you might want to give the one I just made a try – it was really that good. Like I couldn’t believe that I actually made it.  Enjoy! 

5 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

FABULOUS dinner~~

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

Sammie,
Your pasta dinner turned out great. I might have to try that sauce soon. Bet it would taste amazing over steamed veggies or spaghetti squash, my 2 favorite "pastas" :)

Loved your snack plate too - so much variety. I bet it was fun to eat. Have a good weekend!

Zesty Cook said...

That dinner looks fabulous. I am starving right now :)

Mariposa said...

love the look of that sauce! it looks yummy- and sort of similar to the cheeseburger mac i made last week!

BTW- im having a giveaway on my blog... its for Gluten free goodies... !!!!!!!

ksgoodeats said...

What a great dinner!! Hope you got some rest :)