Saturday, April 18, 2009

Friday Recap

Sorry I skipped out on you yesterday – it was one of those kind of days. Here is the rundown of the day.

D and I arrived at my sister-in-law’s house and Grandpa was waiting with some goodies for the my little man. My father-in-law is from PA so he and D proudly sported some new t-shirts from D’s Great Aunt, who still lives in the town where they grew up. 

 

buds

My bowl of blended oats fueled me through all the cleaning that I did.  I packed this little gem to eat after I was finished. We made a stop at Trader Joe’s and to the  Natural Health store on the way home. 

DSC00631

By the time we finally arrived home it was already almost 2:30.  I whipped up a quick salad using some sprouted quinoa.  I followed the instructions on sprouting in this book.  It has the most beautiful photos and the dishes look like a work of art. 

 

DSC00633 DSC00615

 

Along with the quinoa sprouts I had lettuce, shredded cabbage, adzuki bean sprouts, fresh salsa (way better than the jarred stuff) and soaked raw almonds & cashews.   It was mighty tasty and very crunchy.  The quinoa was not at all bitter and the salsa gave this salad such a clean flavor. 

 

DSC00636

I also had some Goraw Pizza Flax Snacks for some crunchers. 

 

DSC00635 DSC00638

 

I ended with a little non raw sweet.  This is an Enjoy Life Cocoa Loco bar. I usually photograph it in the wrapper but I thought you might like to see what this little guy looks like.

 

DSC00640

After lunch D and I headed to the park because it was BEAUTIFUL outside.  I think it was almost 70 degrees. The park was packed and it took D all of 5 minutes to make a buddy – he is Mr. Social.  I am not one of those mom’s that plants my butt on a bench and lets my kid run wild and crazy – I NEED to know where he is at ALL times.  Let’s just say there were a few of those mom’s there yesterday and I felt bad for the kids when they really needed a hand with something they were doing.  I don’t want to go and put my hands on some strange kiddo and the parent get upset at me.  OK enough ranting.  We had a blast and after huffing it around the park I came home and threw together a very ODD dinner.

I could not decide what I wanted so I took out a bunch of my favorites and made a sampler plate - cottage cheese, soaked almonds & cashews, dates, pumpkin, raw almond butter provolone cheese, squash, and some tortilla & Nut Thins for dippers. I also had some broccoli slaw with a little balsamic dressing and peanuts.  I don’t think I missed anything.  I did my best to finish but I think my eyes were bigger than my stomach.  At least I ate all my veggies.

DSC00643  DSC00641 DSC00648

Plus I wanted to make a Raw Ice Cream recipe from my Raw UNcook Book. It contained cashews, frozen mango, frozen banana, orange juice and dates. Into the Vita-Mix went all the ingredients (twice in one day for this handy kitchen gadget). 

 

DSC00652

Out came dessert.  Now you can freeze it and then enjoy, but I am impatient (Charlie stop shaking your head) so I had some right away.  It is very sweet and extremely creamy.  Here is the thing that happened – I am not sure that the OJ agreed with my tummy.  It started doing all kinds of flips and flops after I ate this.  I think the acid in the juice was too much for me.  Charlie tasted it and said it reminded him of an Orange Julius.

 

DSC00653

After D went to bed me and my honey tackled the bills – always a fun way to spend a Friday night.

So there you have it. If you lasted through this long post then you really are a trooper. 

2 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Lovin' all the raw goodness!! And that first photo is too cute :-)

FoodsThatFit said...

Yea for sprouted quinoa!!! I really want to try that cookbook!!!