Monday, April 13, 2009

Foam Roller Stretching

Good morning.  Did you all have a great weekend?  As always, my weekend flew by.  We are starting out the week with some sunshine – now if the temp would just go up a bit, that would be perfect. 

I went to the gym this morning (with 1/2 an Enjoy Life bar in my tummy) and did a 4 mile run, 30 minutes on the Elliptical and weights.  I made sure to leave time to stretch and today I actually used a Foam Roller.  I have never tried one before but have been seeing a lot of talk about the benefits of it.  I did a nice hamstring stretch on the roller – WOW!!! I can feel the difference.  I am going to try and get one for my collection of fitness gear so that I can do these exercises at home too.  I found a short video that shows some of the exercises that you can do with the foam roller – there are actually a bunch more that she does not go over but I thought this was a good intro. 

Do any of you use a foam roller regularly? Have you seen changes in your flexibility? I would love to hear some feedback on your experiences. 

Now onto breakfast.  I made a protein filled bowl of oatmeal this morning.

 

DSC00514

I started with the ever so filling 3/4 cup oats mixed with a tablespoon of Rice Protein powder.  I added a good amount of water to the bowl and then cooked it in the microwave until it was thick and creamy.

 

DSC00515 DSC00517

 

I then added chunks of banana and some PB2 sauce.  I was so surprised how much the oatmeal thickened as it cooled – talk about stick to your ribs.

It was filling but thankfully not gut busting.

 

DSC00516 DSC00518 

The Rice Protein is not very sweet so the sweetness of the banana was perfect. 

Me and my sidekick must think of something to do today.  I am sure that he would be happy playing Star Wars ALL day. 

Enjoy your day. 

3 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

The weekend definitely flew by!! But I'm still on Easter break from school, so I have one more day to enjoy ;-)

I've never used foam rollers before.

Fabulous protein-packed breakfast!!

HAPPY MONDAY!!

K from ksgoodeats said...

I've only used foam rollers to roll out my sore/tight muscles and I hated it! Funny you should ask about stretching though because that's my latest post ;)

Have a great Monday!!

Sarah (lovINmytummy) said...

Way to stretch, Sister Mama! I need to try a foam roller one of these days. Does your gym just have them available for use?

Have fun with D. We are going tutu shopping soon.