Thursday, April 2, 2009

Coconut Almond Bars

This afternoon I tried one of the Coconut Almond bars that I made the other day.  It was absolutely delicious.  I love coconut so I knew that these would be a winner.  Unfortunately, I was unable to get all the bars to stay together – a little tweak to the recipe is in order.  These contain 3 ingredients – sliced almonds, organic unsweetened shredded coconut and honey.  I mixed the ingredients together in a bowl and then pressed it in an even layer into a parchment lined 8 inch pan.  I baked it in a 275 degree oven until the nuts looked golden brown. I let it cool completely before attempting to cut.  Some bars broke into pieces and some stayed together. I think I might need to use a little more honey. I was also thinking about trying brown rice syrup. I might ALSO try to grind up the nuts into a fine “flour” like consistency for the next round of bars.  Either way, the flavor was spot on and I really enjoyed this homemade treat.

 

DSC00064 DSC00067

 

I also had some Greek yogurt with the crunchy Coconut Almond bar.

 

DSC00069

For dinner tonight I went into vegetable overload. 

 

DSC00076

I stuffed 1/2 a red pepper (can you tell that I love these things) with cottage cheese, pumpkin, chic peas and red pepper chunks. I tossed in a little dried basil for some greenery.  On the side I had 2 rice cakes with peanut butter.  I ended up topping the rice cakes with some of the “stuffing” and it tasted awesome with the peanut butter.

 

DSC00070 DSC00071

 

Dessert was 3 Corn Thins topped with Chocolate PB2. I really wanted a piece of my soy free chocolate bar but when I went to get it in the cabinet it was no where to be found.  Looks like someone got to it before me. Charlie even has his own chocolate in there but he ate mine. I can’t eat his because it contains soy. Looks like mommy looses out tonight.  The Corn Thins & PB2 actually did a good job of tending to my sweet tooth.

 

DSC00081

I took a few pictures of my sweet babe during dinner.  This is after I made him eat a few spoonfuls of peas.  He was gagging and I felt horrible but I really needed to get some sort of veggie into him today.  The last 2 days I have been able to get him to eat corn but today I gave him a choice.  He chose the peas – I think he was regretting that decision.  I only made him eat 3/4 of the bowl but trust me it wasn’t a pretty sight in my kitchen this evening.  He was not happy.

 

DSC00077

Looks like he bounced back after the pea incident just fine. He’s such a goofball.

 

DSC00078

He wanted a picture of his pasta. I LOVE THAT FACE!!!! 

 

DSC00079

Okay my friends, that is all for today. Tomorrow I must clean so it is early to bed for me.  I am planning on a run in the AM because my legs are feeling GREAT.  I took a few days off from running and then only ran yesterday - it really paid off.  I hope you have a great night.  See you tomorrow. 

4 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Mmm!!


Good luck cleaning tomorrow!!

Sarah (lovINmytummy) said...

I made Gracie some nuked frozen peas last night and she said, "MOM, you are the BEST cook EVER!" She and D should hang, she'd set him straight.

Have a good night!

Anonymous said...

Your bar's look amazing..the new camera is great..but I liked seeing your face in all the shot's!!

My 13 year old still dislikes veggies and fruit :( Good Luck with D..look's like he recovered from the Pea's..lol..

Have a Great cleaning day tomorrow..

Sandy

K said...

Those bars sound heavenly!!