Saturday, March 7, 2009

A Taste of Spring

Today it was 60 degrees here in MA.  Unfortunately the warm weather is not here to stay – soon enough though.  I was up and out the door super early to get in a run before taking D to karate. I did a 9 mile run, again my time was 1 hour and 15 minutes – at least I am consistent. It was so nice out there today, still a bit of a chill but nothing compared to this day. 

I was sure that my breakfast this morning was going to contain yogurt. I really loved the combo yesterday and had to have it again.  I started by cooking 1/2 cup oatmeal with water.  Once it was cooked I added a banana. Today’s yogurt topping was just 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt. I added a little tsp drizzle of agave for sweetness. It was divine.

HPIM8945

We headed to D’s karate class which means we are out the door at 8:30.  After class we went to Border’s to get D a book for having a good class. He is into this Naruto series which is about a boy ninja.  Rocco tagged along too – he just loves hanging with us – we’re cool I guess.  I snacked on a Luna bar.  This flavor was only OK – not sure if I will buy it again. 

 

HPIM8949

When we got home it was time to scrounge up something for lunch.  I had an English muffin topped with hummus, tomato and Swiss cheese.

 

HPIM8951

I also had 1/4 cup cottage cheese, a plum and a kiwi. 

 

HPIM8952

Lunch ended with a cup of tea and a Kashi granola bar.

 

HPIM8953

We had to run a few errands after lunch. We had to get our hermit crab a new shell – we think that the one he is living in is getting a little small.  When we got home I needed a snack so I went for the Cinnamon Puffins – oh how I missed these little crunchy pillows of goodness. In the bowl along with the Puffins was 1/2 a cup Greek yogurt and a tbsp of sunflower seed butter.

 

HPIM8954

For dinner tonight I did a little experimenting.  I mashed up 1/4 cup cannellini beans, then added a hard boiled egg, shredded zucchini & summer squash and 1/4 cup cottage cheese.  I know it sounds a little wacky, but it was good.

 

HPIM8955

With my little creation I had a Flat-Out wrap.  I did stuff some of the egg/bean salad into the wrap which tasted pretty darn yummy.

 

HPIM8956

Since my dessert was such a hit last night I had to recreate it – with a few modifications – gotta switch things up every now and then.  I know this combo is going to sound strange but trust me it was good. In this “mess” was shredded zucchini & summer squash (mommy needs her veg), pumpkin, Cinnamon Puffins, 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt and a tbsp drizzle of sunflower seed butter.  The squash tastes so good with the yogurt and SB. 

 

HPIM8958

I am pretty sure nothing super exciting is happening around my house this evening.  Maybe I will chill in front of the TV after D goes to bed, speaking of that, time to get him washed up. 

I hope you all had a great Saturday. See you tomorrow.

6 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

What a full day you had!! Definitely relax tonight.

Oh yes, I can't go ONE DAY without my beloved Puffins, so I'm glad you're enjoying them more now too :-)

ksgoodeats said...

I love all of your "wacky" eats ;) They're so fun and innovative!

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

Sammie, I always love all your wacky combos! Shredded squash with yogurt? Who would've thought? I'll definitely be trying that soon. What a great way to get in some veggies!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I remember awhile back you were tweaking some of your food for a skin condition? I was wondering what food you were eliminating/changing to help?

Erica said...

You won the bread!!! Shoot me an email at itzyskitchen at gmail dot com when you get a chance with your address and any special dietary changes to the recipe :)

Sammie said...

Anonymous,
I only eat dairy that does not contain added growth hormones. If the label states it then I am ok and all organic dairy is fine. My sissy has the same problem but she also has to avoid soy in any form.
What issues are you having?