Saturday, March 14, 2009

Soy Free = Happy Tummy

Hello my friends.  I hope that you had a great Saturday.  I have been a busy bee as usual and now I am finally ready to relax and get ready to RACE. 

Here is a quick recap for you – this girl wants to get to bed. 

This morning I did not run even though I wanted to. Instead I used my Water Rower and dumbbells to get the blood pumping.  I really need some sort of stimulating exercise in the morning or I feel like a slug and get a headache. 

Breakfast was 1/2 cup oat bran, a banana, strawberries and a 4oz container of Stonyfield Organic Strawberry yogurt.

 

HPIM9120

 

We took D to karate and afterwards headed to Border’s to get him his next Naruto book.  I ate this bar as a snack.

 

HPIM9121 

Lunch was the famous English muffin, 1 slice of roasted turkey, swiss cheese and red pepper sandwich.

 

HPIM9125

 

1/2 a cup Greek yogurt, shredded zucchini, a few tablespoons TJ’s High Fiber Twigs, cinnamon and a drizzle of agave.

 

HPIM9127 

Then I had a Z Bar.

 

HPIM9128


Yup, this went down too. These things were sooooooo good.  It the package there are 3 cups about the size of a quarter.  The caramel cups are way better than the PB cups that I had last week.  I will definitely be searching out another package of these guys next time I am at the store. 

 

HPIM9129

 

I did laundry, dishes and cleaned which ended up taking me over an hour.  Then we went to my Nana’s house for a little family gathering.  I spent the entire time outside goofing around with my favorite kiddos.  We played tag and fed the chickens.  I packed a Goji Bar for a snack.

 

HPIM9138

Dinner tonight was nothing fancy.  I stuffed a Flat-Out wrap with baby lettuce that was drizzled with a little Maple Grove Farms dressing.

 

HPIM9130

 

With the wrap I had a mini frittata.  I started by cooking chopped summer squash in small pan sprayed with nonstick spray.  Once the squash was cooked I added 1 egg and 2 egg whites that I lightly whipped with dried basil, cilantro, salt and pepper. I let the eggs set up before popping the pan under the broiler to finish cooking..

 

HPIM9134   

I also had 1/2 a cup cottage cheese mixed with 1/2 a cup pumpkin and cinnamon.

 

HPIM9136

 

Now to the good stuff.  I took this – my entire organic loot.

 

HPIM9139

 

And made this glorious sundae.  Mommy had some yumminess. 

 

HPIM9141

After I had a little (ok a lot) of sugar flowing through my body, my fur kid and I went on a 4 mile walk. It was so nice out tonight and Otto really enjoyed getting outside.  The poor guy has been stuck in the house ALL winter. He gets cold so easily – even with a coat on – so he can’t take walks when it is frosty. 

Well my belly is feeling AWSOME today and I think it is because I have not had any soy protein at all today.  I really am starting to think that me and soy will never get along.  As much as I love my Kashi, Luna and Clif bars, I don’t think they agree with my tummy.  I am going to avoid it for a while and see how things turn out.  I guess that I will have to be on the lookout for more soy free bars. I know I can count on Larabars so I guess I should go stock up. The Nature’s Promise bars are a safe choice too. The next time I go to Whole Foods I am going to hit up the bar isle and do some label reading. I will just have to make a point to go alone – D hates when I take too long in the grocery store.

So I am getting really excited and nervous for my 10k tomorrow.  I am leaving early because the race is actually about 45 minutes away from my house.  It starts at 11 which is way later than I am used to running.  I hope that I am able to fuel myself properly before hand. I will be sticking to safe foods tomorrow morning.  I will be back tomorrow with a full race recap and hopefully some nice pictures.  Charlie will be on camera duty while I run.

Have a great night. 

7 comments:

FoodsThatFit said...

Good luck tomorrow! Sounds like you are ready!

VeggieGirl said...

I'M SOY-FREE TOO!!!! I'm telling you, soy is WAAAy overrated - people rely on it too much.

K said...

Get lots of rest tonight - you will be a running superstar tomorrow :)

carolinebee said...

i totally feel ya on the soy :D I tried gliding calm tofu a few weeks ago, and my stomach was NOT NOT happy at all! Maybe u can look up the ingredients, or just look up soy free bars online so you know what you're looking for at the store?? Ha anything to keep little D smiling :D Good luck tomorrow!

Haleigh said...

Good luck on your 10K, I have no doubt that you will finish strong! If soy-free is best for you, then I say go for it! Every one has different needs when it comes to their food. :)

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

Sammie,
Can't do the thing either. I am a much happier person without it in my life, and so is my stomach!

Can't wait to hear about that race. I enjoyed all of your carbo loading pics, especially that ice-cream sundae!

Sammie said...

Thanks for all your encouraging words. I really appreciate all your support.